Windows 7 Beware Windows 7 and NEW AMD 7000 CPU's

The Owl

I am a tech for a small firm in the southern UK just thought I'd let people know as I ahve been testing windows seven (and liking it) I brought in a new machine just for the purpose of "playing / Experimenting" with it everything is a fairly standard machine except the wholesalers convinced me to try the new 7000 range CPU's.

I have tried to install both 32 bit and 64 bit trying the newest available and the older versions both as dual boot and as a stand alone and it just will not install giving a BSOD during the install very similar to a memory one but stating there is a hardware problem, I am trying one last idea i.e. a upgrade before giving up but I shouldn't have to.

But I thought I'd warn people.

1st. a whole lot of people saw BSODs for various reasons....mine came from AMP brand memory. AMDs have a pretty good track record, so i would look further before you cast blame.
2nd if your using the 7000 build, the OS acted as a beta. Worked flawless for some, others had bizaar type issues. Even when you get it installed, you will encounter lots more issues. but overall, its a great direction Microsoft took

I have been testing and getting familiar with 7 since 6801 surfaced and have tried the various releases along the way and as I said I do this for a living, but to bring you up to date I found out the BRAND new board had a BIOS update available so I installed that and although it went further in to the install it still fell over I have tried four different builds and bot 64 and 32 bit installs but just to prove a point I installed Vista and the SAME DAM THING HAPPENED but XP is fine (Good old XP) it is IMHO a DEFINITE CPU problem with the new 7000 series CPUs, but don't believe me if you want to I have only been doing this 25 plus years and yes I agree 7 is definitely a good way to go I have been running it on a old 2600 Althlon with just a Gb of ram and a old 128 meg video card and have been delighted with it which is why I bought in this new box to play further and harder

I have been testing and getting familiar with 7 since 6801 surfaced and have tried the various releases along the way and as I said I do this for a living, but to bring you up to date I found out the BRAND new board had a BIOS update available so I installed that and although it went further in to the install it still fell over I have tried four different builds and bot 64 and 32 bit installs but just to prove a point I installed Vista and the SAME DAM THING HAPPENED but XP is fine (Good old XP) it is IMHO a DEFINITE CPU problem with the new 7000 series CPUs, but don't believe me if you want to I have only been doing this 25 plus years and yes I agree 7 is definitely a good way to go I have been running it on a old 2600 Althlon with just a Gb of ram and a old 128 meg video card and have been delighted with it which is why I bought in this new box to play further and harder

Well I am surprised if it is the CPU but will wait to hear what others say . Could it be a faulty CPU a manufacturing error ?
Thanks for the warning I use AMD exclusively so it is strange that they would bring out a CPU that was not able to at least work with Vista .
You have me puzzled I just find it hard to believe AMD would not test and exhuastively test b4 release a new CPU .

I totally agree with you and in fact am also a AMD only as far as new builds are concerned (I really do not believe the customer gets value for money with Intel) but this is the first of these chips I have had and since XP installs perfectly and the board is the same one as most of my recent builds and has proven to be a reliable one IMHO the only item different is the CPU so that leaves me with but one thought, I have been on to the wholesalers this morning and now their tech is flying around like I was last night

Just a update after a long chat on the phone with the wholesalers a replacement Chip and Board (as it could be either ) being delivered in the morning

Last edited:
:(
well still the same with the new board and chip (I noted a patch installed to the CPU) and I still cannot load anything newer than the 7000 build (which is the closest to Vista) I have most of the builds right up to and including the 7100 versions both 32 and 64 bit but 7000 is it stupid part is the machine will load and run no problems XP which is fine but I bought this machine in purely to test bed the windows 7 OS

Back
Top Bottom