Windows 7 Black Desktop and Black Task Bar

Wheelrad

Hi all,

Everytime I restart, wake up from sleep, or shut down and start again my computer, it goes to an all black back ground and task bar. I have seen this before in other forums with people using Mesh, and with the new update it fixes it. I do not have Mesh installed on my computer. Windows is still fully functional though but all the icons invisible on the desktop and pin up bar. If I guess correctly and double click on the desktop I can open the shortcut that used to be visible there. Any ideas?

Dan

Just to let you know it's not just your computer... I also had this exact same problem with Build 6801.. all i did though was reinstall.. it did it again once after the reinstall but by that time Build 7000 was about to be released so I just waited for that and downloaded/installed it and never had the problem again.. I'm sorry this doesn't really help you solve the problem.. I just wanted to let ya know your not the only one it's happened to without having mesh installed..

This does sound like a driver problem though.. perhaps a gpu driver.. which video card are you using? And which driver? I know the preview driver from ATI (NOT the most recent one) had some problems with it.. I'm using the Windows 7 Beta Driver Package (this IS the most recent one) from ATI now on Builds 7000 and 7022 and have had no visual problems at all... I'm not too sure what going on with nVidia and Windows 7 though as far as gpu's go as I've always used ATI video cards...

If you do have an ATI card and are using the Windows 7 beta driver package I'd suggest uninstalling that and try using the most recent Windows Vista driver as it's supposed to work...

I had this same problem, and after the latest drivers fron Nvidia, it went away. I also noticed that when I would quite the process "DWM.exe" it would return my system to normal (Regual background - and my pinned apps would show up.)

Thanks guys, quitting that fixed it. It still does it every time I restart or wake from sleep as before but it is definitely less frustrating as I can get it back to working quick now.

A few other things you may find interesting; I can change the background theme and I get the back ground back but nothing on the pinup bar. I can also see all of my shortcuts and programs. But if I just change the picture and not the theme nothing happens.

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll have to wait till the next build for a permanent solution eh!

I have a nVidia card.