Black screen on roaming profiles

sphtd

Hello, I have a serious problem!

Users cannot log in to their accounts. These are raoming profiles. A few days ago I changed the allocation quota limit per user from 950000 kb to 2 GB. And it seems to me that after this operation (or just a coincidence), the next day users cannot log in, namely they have a problem with a black screen, only the cursor and a black screen are displayed, sometimes it is possible to run the task manager, sometimes it is not, this same with explorere.exe, sometimes restarting works, sometimes not. Also logging in and logging out takes a long time, there is no problem on local stores.

In GPO I found (but it was also there before):

"An unknown error occurred while data was gathered for this extension. Details: Could not find a part of the path "\\domainname\sysvol\domainname\Policies\GUID\User\Preferences\Printers\Printers.xml."

and
"An unknown error occurred while data was gathered for this extension. Details: Could not find a part of the path "\\domainname\sysvol\domainname\Policies\GUID\Machine\Preferences\Drivres\drives.xml."

Preferences > Windows Settings > Mapping
Preferences > Windows Settings > Printers

is completely empty

But the biggest problem is that users can't log in :(

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're facing with roaming profiles. Changing the allocation quota limit and encountering black screen issues could be related, but it's essential to investigate further to identify the root cause. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check Event Viewer: Start by reviewing the Event Viewer logs on the affected server(s) and the affected client(s) to look for any related error messages or warnings that might provide helpful information.

2. Verify File and Folder Permissions: Ensure that the necessary file and folder permissions are correctly set for the roaming profiles and GPOs. Make sure that the appropriate user accounts have the necessary permissions to access and modify these files and folders.

3. Check User Profile Disk (UPD) Health: If you're using User Profile Disks, verify that there are no issues with the disk or any permissions problems. You may need to detach and reattach the disks or recreate them if necessary.

4. Disable GPOs: Temporarily disable the GPOs related to mapping drives and printers to see if the black screen issue persists. This will help determine if the GPOs are causing the problem.

5. Test User Account and Profile: Test with a new user account or create a test roaming profile to see if the issue occurs with these as well. If not, it could indicate an issue with the existing roaming profiles or user accounts.

6. Check Group Policy Preferences: Verify if the GPO Preferences for mapping drives and printers are correctly configured. Confirm the file paths and verify that the necessary files are present in the specified locations mentioned in the error messages.

7. Update Group Policy Templates: Ensure you have the latest Group Policy templates installed on the domain controller(s) and the affected server(s). Old templates could potentially cause conflicts or errors.

8. Check for Updates: Make sure all servers and client machines involved are up-to-date with the latest Windows updates and patches.

9. Monitor Resource Usage: Monitor the server resource usage during user logins and check if there are any spikes in memory, CPU, or disk usage that could be causing the black screen issue.

10. Test with Local Profiles: If possible, try logging in with local profiles on the affected machines to see if the black screen issue still occurs. This will help determine if the problem is specific to roaming profiles.

If the issue persists after trying these troubleshooting steps, it may be beneficial to reach out to the Microsoft Support team or consult with an experienced IT professional who can perform a detailed analysis of your environment.

Back