Windows 7 Blue Screen for no apparent reason?

hg3300

I have been getting Blue Screens for the past month (since my computer was new) and I cannot figure out why. The RAM is NOT bad, like most people will suggest. The whole thing is brand new, so nothing should be wrong with it.

Still, I have been getting these errors too often. I was hoping someone could make some sense of them. I compiled a list, which is attached.

Attachments

• BSODs.xml
    21.8 KB · Views: 438
please zip and attach your .dmp files for analysis ;)

a list of simple system specs would be useful and what antivirus and or third party firewall you are using ?

apparently my stupid computer couldn't create a minidump file so I just have one file to provide.

I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with the internet, because I was using WMC. When I tried to minimize it, I got another Blue Screen. The dump file (428MB) is too large to provide.

i have the same problem after assembling a new desktop pc, figure out that it was the ram that was causing the prob even if the ram passed several mem check

i returned the RAM(it was covered with warranty), no more BSOD

just try to change the RAM..:) (borrow from a friend to test it )

apparently my stupid computer couldn't create a minidump file so I just have one file to provide.

I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with the internet, because I was using WMC. When I tried to minimize it, I got another Blue Screen. The dump file (428MB) is too large to provide.

in your xml file there are 18 references to .dmp output can you zip and attach the .dmp files that data came from ?

I have been getting Blue Screens for the past month (since my computer was new) and I cannot figure out why. The RAM is NOT bad, like most people will suggest. The whole thing is brand new, so nothing should be wrong with it.

Still, I have been getting these errors too often. I was hoping someone could make some sense of them. I compiled a list, which is attached.

It's entirely possible to get bad RAM even when new... Test sticks individually with :
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Also just check your system Bios is the latest version..

I don't know where the XML files are located and Windows has refused to tell me. All I get is the location of the minidump file. I have since deleted the extremely large dmp file (from My Documents, where I copied it), and I'm not sure if it's still in the dmp folder or not.

I did not put this computer together, I had professionals do it for me, and they had tests done on the RAM and everything. In fact, they had to replace RAM so I actually waited longer for my computer.

Everything appears to be updated. I will check the BIOS, but I'm not quite sure how to do this.

The easiest way to find would be to run the machine with just one stick at a time. If it blue screens on one stick but not the other you have your culprit.

if I wanted to risk turning my computer into a large doorstop then yes I would use 1 stick at a time. But quite frankly, it's not worth it.

If it's worth anything, I tried running Memtest and it found nothing. (I also used WMD)

I am not sure why everyone says it's memory problems. Do I have to tear the damn computer up before you realize that the memory's not at fault here?

if I wanted to risk turning my computer into a large doorstop then yes I would use 1 stick at a time. But quite frankly, it's not worth it.

If it's worth anything, I tried running Memtest and it found nothing. (I also used WMD)

I am not sure why everyone says it's memory problems. Do I have to tear the damn computer up before you realize that the memory's not at fault here?

running with one stick of ram will not turn your pc into a doorstop ;)

viewing the list and variety of errors in the xml file you posted it all points at memory problems ?

we really don't have much else to go on until you upload your .dmp files, it's possible the directory has been emptied with something like cccleaner but if you want to progress I suggest you make sure your systems setup for minidumps then zip and attach them here for further diagnosis after your next crash ?

to setup minidumps and stop the auto restart ...............
  1. Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
  2. Click on the Advanced tab
  3. Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
  4. Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
  5. Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
  6. Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be found later
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

otherwise I suggest take it back to the original computer builders and let them know your bluescreen errors aren't fixed :eek:

N.B. %systemroot%\Minidump is normally C:\windows\Minidump

I'm sorry. I apparently got confused and didn't realize that my XML was the file I created with references to all my BSODs. (It is currently outdated BTW)

And yes I do use CCleaner so my dumps were deleted. I will uncheck that option so it no longer happens.

My position on all these BSODs is that maybe there's a hardware issue somewhere. I seem to have a problem with webcams. My old Logitech webcam constantly crashed the computer. So I just continued to uninstall the driver each time I restarted (it would automatically install) until I removed it from the computer. Now I have an HP webcam. It seems to be okay, but I've had to reinstall the software 2 or 3 times so maybe there's an issue there as well.

I have attached an updated XML as well as the latest DMP file.

Attachments

• BSODs.xml
    23.2 KB · Views: 459
  • dump.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 268
running with one stick of ram will not turn your pc into a doorstop ;)

I understand that. However, to keep from incorrectly putting them back in (ie upside down, not in all the way, backwards etc) and frying something, I would rather not do that. I already fried one motherboard/PSU/video card/possibly RAM too. I would rather not have this happen because of my mistakes again.

a list of simple system specs would be useful and what antivirus and or third party firewall you are using ?

Here, I haven't given you any specs yet:
MB: MS-7578
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 210
AV: AVG Free 9.5 (probably moot considering the BSODs aren't limited to internet surfing)
WC: HP KQ245AA (USB webcam w/integrated mic)

Here, I haven't given you any specs yet:
MB: MS-7578
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 210
AV: AVG Free 9.5 (probably moot considering the BSODs aren't limited to internet surfing)
WC: HP KQ245AA (USB webcam w/integrated mic)

ok i can understand your reluctance to remove computer components but at some point over the next few days it may become the best way to eliminate the possibility that your ram may be incompatible by removing all but one stick , so if you have a computer competent friend this may become necessary ?

your antivirus covers every file on your system and isn't limited just to protection during browsing so please try not to assume it can't be the cause ?

It is possible your web-cam and or it's drivers could be causing problems but there's no proof yet ?

I am concerned that your ram was a problem with the first build which could indicate your motherboard is fussy about the ram spec and that could still be an issue ?

windows debugger shows it's a
BugCheck 124, {0, 8c20f65c, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : hardware

0x124 errors are:- hardware problems- compatibility issues (hardware or driver)- corrupted driver (not all agree with this) stress tests needed

please can you humour me and run a thorough ram test ?
I get consistent results by burning to CD (using an ISO burner) & running from boot memtest86+ for at least 5 passes and moving the sticks between slots to verify motherboard ram slots work as well as the ram sticks.

this may well take 7hrs or so and running overnight is often the best way :eek:

debugger also stated
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_AuthenticAMD

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: System

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

STACK_TEXT:
88395cc4 832d4fc5 8c20f640 8336dc28 8336dc20 nt!WheapCreateTriageDumpFromPreviousSession+0x32
88395ce4 832d5def 8336dc20 8c20f640 8336dc50 nt!WheapProcessWorkQueueItem+0x56
88395d00 83273f3b 8336dc20 00000000 859baa70 nt!WheapWorkQueueWorkerRoutine+0x1f
88395d50 834146bb 00000001 a1940ae7 00000000 nt!ExpWorkerThread+0x10d
88395d90 832c60f9 83273e2e 00000001 00000000 nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x9e
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KiThreadStartup+0x19

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: hardware

IMAGE_NAME: hardware

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV

BUCKET_ID: 0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
which is pointing at your processor and or it's relationship with the ram as the AMD chip contains the memory controller so can you also run a stress test where I recommend using prime95 and if you have a faulty hardware component it will crash within a few minutes :eek:

please let us know the results and upload anymore .dmp files here so we can look for a trend ?

can you run the windows 7 upgrade advisor to check your hardware compatibility ?

please run the free version of SIW and click file save as HTML then use that output for system reference.

what is the make and model of your power supply ?

using CPUZ by downloading it and running CPU-Z select the memory and speed tabs then post your exact make and model of RAM here ?

this will all give us some clues to help debug your crashes :D

Last edited:
RAM can only be inserted a certain way. The stick is designed so that improper insertion is impossible due to it's shape and the fact it will only fit one way.. There's no choice as to which way they go.
Memtest is fine and an awesome app but unless it's run on one stick at a time errors can be missed.
You ask the forum for help yet when you don't like the answer you dismiss it as obviously wrong... As Spock would say... 'Illogical'... Captain.

The reason so many are asking about memory is that in our experience from dealing with these machines day in and day out that when it comes to faults of this type then RAM is one of the 'usual suspects' regardless of age. Hopefully the tests will come back negative and you can dismiss the RAM once and for all but to just ignore it is just ignoring a possible solution.
You also mentioned that you wasn't sure about the Bios and if it was the latest version or not?

Last edited:
Back