Windows 7 Blue screen of death on multiple computers.

Brian Guigar

Hello,

I work for a Specialty toy store, and recently 3 of are registers have had this blue screen of death within the last day. All different computers all running windows 7 64bit, was there a new update released that is causing this?

Every computer that has received the BSOD has been able to boot back up properly and function okay since they have had this problem, 2 computers had the problems yesterday and now 1 this morning.

Could I get some help on this topic/issue?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,
In order to help you we need to read the dump file created when your machines blue screened. The Dump files are found in a folder marked Minidump. This folder can be found in the main Windows folder. If you can't find it or no dump files are present then you probably need to change settings so they get created:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Unfortunately if you do not already have a 'minidump' folder then chances are you'll have to wait until they bsod again. Bsod's can be caused by almost anything and is the machine basically shutting itself down to stop catastrophic damage. If the computers have recently been updated (like you suggest) or had new software added then that is your likely suspect. To have all three bsod is rather unusual and perhaps links to shared software?

I'm wondering why your tech support isn't helping you? We are certainly happy to help of course but are in no way affiliated with Microsoft itself.

Once you have some dump files read the following thread as it explains on how best to post the information:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.38837/

Back
Top Bottom