Windows 11 Boot from Storage Spaces Virtual Disk

pavank830

I have windows 11 i am trying to boot from storage space virtual disk which as 2 disks in storage pools trying achieve the same thing as surface pro 2017 [surface pro 5 ] as mentioned in this thread

faced the same issue as mentioned in the thread ,the boot manager couldn't find the the Windows

The link clearly states they were not successful which is true. You can not boot from a storage space. That is a software level disk abstraction layer only available from within Windows. The computer firmware would not understand SS nor how to boot from it. It would simply see X number of disks

It is conceivable that since the Surface line is build by Microsoft that they have firmware code that can boot to a storage space. Any other system likely does not.

true ,
So as you said boot would be unable to recognise my storage space, ok we can't keep the entire C drive in storage space but i can keep parts of it like Users,Packages,program files and once loaded it would be able to recognise the storage pool i am thinking somewhere around these lines would this help out or am I going in a wrong direction

Does somebody has or tried to dump UEFI firmware on Surface devices having option to boot from Storage Space? So we could examine which EFI is responsible for booting from Storage Space volume.

It is conceivable that since the Surface line is build by Microsoft that they have firmware code that can boot to a storage space. Any other system likely does not.
I have never heard of this before and would be shocked if its possible. AFAIK, there is no commercial device that you can even buy that can do this. It is a good idea for hardware or even software that does not exist.

It is possible. Most boards will have a UART port for uploading/dumping firmware, but yes not really commercial products to do that. Firmware may also be encrypted or have other protections to make it tamper resistant.

Back
Top Bottom