Windows 7 bootmgr missing

i am using dell studio 15 which came preinstalled with windows 7 (64 bit). i did not receive any installation cd except fr the dell drivers cd. it ran fine for quite a few months, when suddenly, out of the blue, i got the msg : BOOTMGR IS MISSING. Press CTRl-Alt-Delete to restart. It didn't help even after i restarted MANY times . i made a Windows 7 64-bit Repair disc, which didnt help either because the laptop wouldn't boot from the cd. I am neither able to enter the setup (by hitting F2) nor the Boot options (F12) to modify boot order.

What do i do now?? Pl help..........

Thanks in advance

it doesnt respond whatsoever despite jabbing fn+F2 continuously... and the screen just freezes when i press fn+F12, only to continue to the same loop when i hit Esc

P.S: there's only 1 OS in the laptop. I did some hard disk partitioning yesterday to create an extended drive of abt 250 GB, leaving about 200 GB for C:\ drive, where the OS is installed, and marked C: drive as active.. Just wondering, could this have done something to the Bootmgr? And if it did, what is the way out?

Last edited:

sounds more like this problem has occurred not so much suddenly out of the blue as "after some partitioning" and without the ability to run a cd I am not aware of anything you can do to recover your system ?

Assuming the hard drive hasn't failed getting into the boot sequence in BIOS is something you need to solve ?

I just figured it out after what felt like hours of persistent trying... it worked "without" pressing 'fn' key. i accidentally pressed just the f12..and it was able to boot from the cd... Strange!

And yes, the problem was fixed using the recovery disc.'

PS: i have done this Hard Disk partitioning thing once before, and there were absolutely no problems then, and therefore didnt quite think it would be the culprit this time.