Windows 7 BSOD at startup, x0000001E, safe mode works. What next?

CoolDudeClan

BSOD windows 7 randomly.

No exclamation marks in device manager, computer will only boot in safe mode.

Tried using each piece of ram separately to see if was a bad stick. Plenty of space on hard drive

What can I do next?

Hi,
when you get into the screen that you use to navigate to safe mode with, instead of hitting safe mode try 'last good known config'. Hopefully this will take you back to a time when the pc worked fine.
I/we need to see your dump files. Look in the windows folder for a folder marked 'minidump'. If you can't find one then your machine isn't set up to produce them. Make sure you change your settings to this:

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

If you find you already have a mindump folder then read the thread found here and post the results:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.38837/

I also moved your thread to the correct section.

Hi,
when you get into the screen that you use to navigate to safe mode with, instead of hitting safe mode try 'last good known config'. Hopefully this will take you back to a time when the pc worked fine.
I/we need to see your dump files. Look in the windows folder for a folder marked 'minidump'. If you can't find one then your machine isn't set up to produce them. Make sure you change your settings to this:

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

If you find you already have a mindump folder then read the thread found here and post the results:

I also moved your thread to the correct section.

Thanks for the response. I am getting the mini dump file now

Here is the file if you could give this a look that would be great. I'm using my Mac to post it so I'm not sure how to compress the file so I apologize for that.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 101914-17269-01.dmp
    260.3 KB · Views: 288
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck A, {fffff880012e8000, 2, 0, fffff8000309931c}

Probably caused by : mssmbios.sys ( mssmbios!SMBiosACPIProcessACPIData+116 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS. I can usually get details about the motherboard and Bios from the dump file but unfortunately yours aren't showing. Can you post the motherboard model and bios version please as this may well be linked to your issue.
mssmbios.sys is actually the Microsoft Bios driver and you may have some system corruption. Open an admin command prompt (right click on command prompt, properties and then run as admin) and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.
Looking through the driver stack in the dump file isn't giving me enough information. Please read the thread found here and post the results:

Just went on this morning and I can no longer boot the computer, even into safe mode. I can get to the f8 screen, I select safe mode, or safe mode with networking and it waits a second and then I get a BSOD 01E.

It seems to just randomly work. I will get a bsod 10 times and then once it will boot, only to blue screen again in 10 minutes of working.

Last night I was even booted up not in safe mode for close to an hour before it bsod again.

The diagnostic tool info is attached!

I was able to get back into safe mode with networking after a few tries. So far hasn't crashed.

Attachments

• W7F_21-10-2014.zip
    432.1 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Please use this one, I guess a few things were not done here is a more complete file

Attachments

• W7F_21-10-2014 (2).zip
    442.8 KB · Views: 276
Code:

BugCheck 1E, {0, 0, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt_fffff80002400000+3713 )

Hi,
thanks for the updates. Firstly I'd like to at least try and get your machine to boot up without a bsod and then we'll cover other stuff. You should be able to boot into your Bios and change the Boot order so that CD/DVD is first and HDD second. Place a Windows 7 install disk in the drive and reboot (presuming you have a install disk) go through the install screens until you see the final 'Install windows' and hit Repair.
Failing that try the advanced Boot menu but instead of safe mode hit 'Last Good Known Configuration'.
Some of your drivers look very old but let's get you up and running first.
Good luck!

Code:

BugCheck 1E, {0, 0, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt_fffff80002400000+3713 )

Hi,
thanks for the updates. Firstly I'd like to at least try and get your machine to boot up without a bsod and then we'll cover other stuff. You should be able to boot into your Bios and change the Boot order so that CD/DVD is first and HDD second. Place a Windows 7 install disk in the drive and reboot (presuming you have a install disk) go through the install screens until you see the final 'Install windows' and hit Repair.
Failing that try the advanced Boot menu but instead of safe mode hit 'Last Good Known Configuration'.
Some of your drivers look very old but let's get you up and running first.
Good luck!

The machine came with 7 on it so I don't have an install disk.

I also have tried the "Last good known config" to no avail.

I will create a system repair disc and try booting into that? Would that be worthwhile?

I am currently in safe mode so I can boot it up right now. I used bluescreenviewer yesterday and it was indeed saying that same file was the problem

Currently booted up into normal mode for 5 minutes now, expecting another BSOD but that's something at least

Just crashed in normal mode, classpnp.sys on bsod screen

I was able to restart the computer right back into normal mode after

Last edited:
102114-49811-01.dmp 21/10/2014 12:55:50 PM NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM 0x00000024 00000000`001904fb fffff880`02fbd658 fffff880`02fbceb0 fffff880`01651a0e CLASSPNP.SYS CLASSPNP.SYS+1a0e x64 ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0 C:\windows\Minidump\102114-49811-01.dmp 2 15 7601 301,212 21/10/2014 12:59:25 PM

Report from Bluescreenviewer after the latest bsod

Yes do try the system repair disk.as for the drivers I'll have to try and search which ones you need but initially try the system repair disk.

102114-49811-01.dmp 21/10/2014 12:55:50 PM NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM 0x00000024 00000000`001904fb fffff880`02fbd658 fffff880`02fbceb0 fffff880`01651a0e CLASSPNP.SYS CLASSPNP.SYS+1a0e x64 ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0 C:\windows\Minidump\102114-49811-01.dmp 2 15 7601 301,212 21/10/2014 12:59:25 PM

Report from Bluescreenviewer after the latest bsod

If you have new dump files then please post them.

Yes do try the system repair disk.as for the drivers I'll have to try and search which ones you need but initially try the system repair disk.

I've been trying that now but keep getting the same error in the creation menu.

"system repair disc can not be created, the system cannot find the path specified" (0x80070003)

Been googling for a while now this problem and still no resolution

Tried my external cd drive and both cd-r and dvd-r, nothing helping.

Try this, go back into safe mode and call up an admin command prompt. Type:
sfc /scannow

Code:

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, fffff88002fbd658, fffff88002fbceb0, fffff88001651a0e}

Probably caused by : CLASSPNP.SYS ( CLASSPNP!TransferPktComplete+e )

Hi,
the above Bugcheck is for NTFS issues and could mean you have corruption within the NTFS file system.

Try opening an admin command prompt (right click on command prompt, choose properties and then run as admin) and type:
Chkdsk /f /r
Press enter and await results. (you may need to reboot)

Also in an admin command prompt. Type:
sfc /scannow

KmxAMRT.sys Thu Oct 27 21:01:05 2011: CA Antivirus Anti-Malware Realtime File System Filter Driver. Sometimes Anti-virus apps can cause such issues. Try removing this and installing MSE instead as that is ultra stable:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

Run the Intel update utility:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

RimSerial_AMD64.sys Mon Oct 22 21:51:51 2012: Virtual Serial Port driver for Blackberry please update:
http://www.rim.com/products/

Rt64win7.sys Fri May 22 15:52:30 2009: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Nov 05 11:39:41 2013: Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Sahdad64.sys Tue Oct 28 03:56:11 2008: Saitek driver? Mouse perhaps? Please update if you know what this is and an update is available.
http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

If after making the above changes your still getting a bsod try removing all sticks of RAM apart from one. If the machine still bsod's then change it again.

Post any new dumps.

sfc /scannow ran and found no errors.

Updating drivers now. No idea what saitek is, the mouse I'm using now isn't the one my boss would have been using (it's his computer)

Not sure what CA etc is but I think after googling it's Total Defense Internet Security Suite. Trying to uninstall it brings up multiple errors and it doesn't go away.

There is a lot of junk software on here including a whole "iYogi" suite of Maintenance tools, AV, Tuneup. The whole thing seems sketchy. A quick google of iyogi was full of scam reports and such. The grammar is even terrible in the actual program. He paid money for it so I'm redundant to uninstall it but it might be the right choice.

Back