BSOD during ANY game

Please excuse my ignorance since I'm a Linux girl usually. Running Windows 7 64 bit on a HP DC7900 with an MSI R7850 graphics card. So every time I try to run Minecraft or Skyrim (a few other games give a BSOD but can't think of them) it starts fine, no lag, graphics look awesome. Then outta the blue, no pun intended, I get a BSOD every time. What do I need to look for with log files or what do I need to show to get an idea of what's wrong? Thank you so much and I think I'm going to enjoy this forum. :)

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Welcome, also a big Linux user :) Your CPU temperatures look normal. Anything above 75 C I would start getting concerned.

Please upload your Windows crash dumps. They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump If this folder is empty or doesn't exist that will also be helpful info.

This is all the files in that folder. So what is it in the files that indicates the problem? I don't even know where to begin with Windows since I haven't used it since the initial release of Vista :vomit:

Attachments

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Looks like your AMD driver atikmdag.sys is causing the crash. Did you have a recent update to your GPU?
What I would do is
  • First verify you have the latest graphics driver, if not install the newest driver and test your games again
  • If you do have the latest driver, then you may need to roll back to a previous version, OR uninstall the driver and try re-installing it.
This is the method I prefer to use if I am rolling a driver back.
  • Press the Win key and type cmd but do not press enter
  • Right-click on command prompt and select "Run As Administrator"
  • Type cd %userprofile%\Desktop <press enter>
  • Type pnputil -e >> drivers.txt
  • Open the driver.txt file on your desktop and look for the entries for your AMD "Display adapters
Here is a sample of mine. (Nvidia)
Published name : oem31.inf
Driver package provider : NVIDIA
Class : Display adapters
Driver date and version : 03/13/2015 9.18.13.4788
Signer name : Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Published name : oem11.inf
Driver date and version : 03/04/2014 9.18.13.3523

Published name : oem33.inf
Driver date and version : 04/08/2015 9.18.13.5012

• You should hopefully see multiple versions note the oem##.inf with the newest driver date
  • Now back in your elevated command prompt type pnputil -d oem##.inf <press enter>
  • This should delete the driver
  • Reboot and your computer should automatically use the last driver
  • Test your game

Last edited:
Ok, I reinstalled 7 yesterday if that makes a difference. I'm going to try to reinstall the driver and post results.

Well, reinstalling the driver along with the Catalyst Control Center didn't do anything. Not a minute into Minecraft and the driver crashes.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
The dump file specified the driver is failing on a read operation, so it's quite possible that this is a hardware issue. The bug check code is 0xA0000001 which is not a windows bug check, you may need to contact AMD directly and get an answer to this bug check code.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck A0000001, {5, 0, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+28ece )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
all your dump files were the same and Bugcheck A0000001 is AMD specific. Typical causes can be a faulty card meaning a hardware error or not enough power is being supplied from the GPU.

Your card is not getting enough juice. It needs something like this:
Radeon HD 7850 - 21A and a 500W psu minimum
ref:
https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

Your actual PSU is:
Convertible Minitower : 365 W active PFC
ref:
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/...784892&docId=emr_na-c01570345&docLocale=en_US

Your driver is also out of date. The latest version is here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 7 - 64

You have quite a few other drivers which are out of date too but to be honest until you upgrade the PSU the point is a tad moot I guess.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.