Windows 8 BSOD during inactivity; usually DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message; multiple files flagged

Airman1947

Hi All,

So I've been having a strange problem with my Toshiba Satellite laptop lately, running Windows 8.1. Been having random BSODs, usually with a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message. I took a look at the dump files using BlueScreenView, and in almost every occurrence, it flags the ntoskrnl.exe file. I also troubleshot with the WinDBG tool, and it pointed to the following files:
  • ntoskrnl.exe
  • ntkrnlmp
  • \Driver\tunnel
  • instb64.sys
From what I've seen, the BSOD happens either during shutdown, or when I am not doing anything, and the computer is just sitting. I've also noticed that the computer sometimes freezes when it goes to enter sleep mode, and most of the time, it won't enter sleep mode at all (the screen turns off, but the computer is still awake). Wondering if this is related.

Attached are all of the files from the W7F tool. Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• W7F_06-01-2015.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 1,197
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 24, {b500190637, ffffd0002a2e4ef8, ffffd0002a2e4700, fffff80000839246}

Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs!NtfsAcquireExclusiveFcb+66 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
most of your dump files were Bugcheck 9F with a few being the above Bugcheck 24. I had a look at the 9F dump files but were a little inconclusive so this is why I'm using the Bugcheck 24 dump files to go from.
Bugcheck 24 can mean you have some disk corruption. Please run a chkdsk making sure the option to search for and repair broken sectors is enabled. This guide although for vista does for the most part still run the same for Win 8.1:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

avgmfx64.sys Mon Sep 30 23:49:53 2013: AVG Antivirus known on occasion to cause the odd issue. Please remove to test and use Defender coupled with Malwarebytes as this is ultra safe and very stable:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

You have some driver updates pending please apply:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2523355

Code:
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The memory could not be %s.
If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM especially because of the above. Basically the code means that for some reason data held in memory couldn't be read. Now this could be down to either the data itself being corrupt or the actual memory.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Run the test for at least 12hrs if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Post any new dump files.

Hi kemical

Thanks so much for taking a look, and for the long, detailed reply! I do appreciate it. I have some follow up comments and questions, if you don't mind:
  • I actually did run chkdsk back when the problem first started occurring
    • If I remember right, a handful of issues got corrected, but no bad sectors were found.
    • I will try running it again when I get the chance
  • Thanks for the info on AVG and on Malwarebytes. I was thinking about getting rid of AVG anyway.
    • I went ahead and removed AVG and installed Malwarebytes
    • I enabled Windows Defender. I'm guessing that's what you were talking about? If not let me know.
  • I went to the Toshiba link that you supplied for the drivers
    • Which drivers specifically should I download? The link goes to a broad list of drivers that can be selected
    • I recently updated drivers for the graphics card and chipset. Are there any others I need to update?
  • I did actually do a memory test when the problem started
    • No problems were found. I don't recall if I used Memtest86 though
    • I'll give it a try if the problem persists
If these steps don't work, is there anything else I can try? I thought of doing a system restore, but the oldest restore point that I have is from a month ago. I've also thought about doing a Windows Refresh. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks again!

Hi,
I see what you mean regarding the drivers. It seems the only update for 8.1 is the GPU driver. Installing the other drivers such as Chipset (dated 2009) won't probably help and in fact I doubt the os will allow them to be installed citing that a better version is already installed.

Try this scan as it will determine if Windows 8.1 is corrupted or not:
If you right click in the bottom right hand corner of the desktop you'll see a menu appear with admin command prompt click that and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Regarding memory. Anything other than Memtest86 just doesn't cut it really but as I wrote above wait until you've tried everything else first.

Did you upgrade to Windows 8.1 or perform a clean install? If you upgraded then it might be worth reseting the os but remember you'll lose anything third party so back it up.

Thanks again for the reply!

Alright, so it sounds like there's not much I can do driver wise, then.

Oh, I probably should have mentioned that I ran sfc before as well. Here was the result. I got a message similar to the following:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

However, later that evening, I checked the CBS.log file, and couldn't find any errors in it. At least not following the method described in these instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833#CBS log

Although, it looks like new items get constantly written to that file, and the old ones get deleted, so maybe the logged errors were gone by the time I looked. Anyway, I've attached the file in it's current state. Not sure if it will tell you anything. I certainly can run sfc again if need be.

As for the memory, I will wait until I've tried everything else, but that's good to know about Memtest86.

Anyway, yes I did upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8. I'll wait to try a refresh, but anyway doing so will only make me lose third party apps/programs, right? I won't lose pictures, documents, etc?

Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    81.5 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Ok, update.

I ran sfc again, and this time I snagged the CBS.log file before the logged errors could be deleted. Sure enough, there's a handful of files that got flagged. I haven't tried anything yet to remedy this, but can these errors cause my problem?

Thanks!

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    133.3 KB · Views: 312
Sorry bud I meant to answer last night but got diverted with other stuff. Looking through the CBS log I couldn't see anything desperately bad but having any corruption at all I guess isn't good. Try running this scan. It's like the sfc scan but this will download files to fix whatever error it finds: Open another admin command prompt and type (or copy and paste):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Press enter and await results.

If you reset the os you pretty much lose everything. See this guide from Microsoft:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

That's not a problem. Thanks for getting back to me.

Wow, that scan tool is pretty cool. I ran it and it said that the operation completed successfully. After it was done, I ran sfc again, and this time it gave me a message like this:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

Attached is the log file and some screenshots of the Command Prompt window. Guess we'll see if it makes a difference. Although the computer still won't go into Sleep Mode after the designated amount of time. That's not a good sign. :p

But anyway, I was thinking of doing a Refresh, rather than a Reset. If I read correctly, Refresh only removes third party apps, but keeps personal files. But anyway, if nothing else works, maybe I'll try that.

If nothing else, I'm learning a lot through this whole process. Thanks so much for all the help!

Attachments

• DISM results.zip
    83.9 KB · Views: 290
Regarding the sleep mode issue have you checked the Power settings in the Control panel especially the advanced section?

Yes I have, in fact I've tinkered with just about all of the settings in the Advanced menu, and the problem is still there. Not sure why, but I think that it's related to the BSOD, since it tends to happen when the computer's just been sitting. The only way I can get sleep mode to work is if I manually try to get the computer to enter it, like by closing the lid or by pressing the power button. And even then, it doesn't always work. The screen will turn off, but the computer never goes to sleep, and then I can't get the screen back on. It's apparently frozen, and I need to shut it off and turn it back on.

But anyway, it appears that the scan didn't fix the problem. Got another BSOD last night, and another time when I left it sitting, it froze up when it tried to go into sleep mode. The latest dump file is attached. Guess I'll try chkdsk again next, and when I have time, I'll try Memtest86

Attachments

• Latest Dump File.zip
    30.8 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C4, {81, ffffe001b064b4f0, 804, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for INSTB64.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for INSTB64.SYS
Probably caused by : INSTB64.SYS ( INSTB64+1743 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
did you turn on the driver verifier? The above Bugcheck is for Driver verifier violation and of course the driver which was caught. This driver apparently relates to to LoJack for laptops:
Please turn off the verifier.
INSTB64.SYS Fri May 10 17:38:40 2013: LoJack for Laptops uninstall to test.

You also have driver updates pending:
HECIx64.sys Thu Sep 17 20:54:16 2009: Intel Management Engine Interface. A 2010 version is available but you have to actually click on the Intel chipset link and look for the small writing lower down the page but try this link:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2523355

Ah,

I forgot, I did turn that on as a suggestion that I found on another page. So, the fact that it caught this driver, could this be the problem?

I disabled Driver Verifier. Any idea how I might go about uninstalling INSTB64.SYS? I can't find much online. There is an option on Lojack's website to remove their software from your computer. Should I try that?

I downloaded the Intel driver update from the link you provided, but for some reason, when I go to run it, it starts to install, but then I get the error:

The setup program failed to start one or more application processes. Setup will exit.

I tried it again in Safe Mode, and got the same error again, but also got this error:

The instruction at 0x74b7f545 referenced memory at 0x0000000a. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program

I've attached screenshots of the errors. Do you know what these might be about? Thanks.

Attachments

• Failed to Start.PNG
    Failed to Start.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 433
  • Memory Error.PNG
    Memory Error.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Try running the driver in admin mode. In other words right click on it and run as admin.

As for LoJack, if you've finished using it then sure remove it. I would assume that it's removed by going to add and remove programs and uninstalling it there but if there is an actual tool for the job then use that.

Hmm, still didn't work, running as administrator. Guess I'll have to look into that.

As for Lojack, I actually do use it, or at least I do have it ready in case my laptop is misplaced or stolen. But, I guess I need to get rid of it, if it's causing problems. I'll give it a try next week. I'm out of town until Monday, and don't have the laptop with me.

Thanks again.

Ok, I'm back. So, I got the Intel driver update to work by using Compatibility Mode for Windows 7. Although, it's weird. Even though the update has the 2010 version number shown when the install starts (6.0.40.1215), it basically just reinstalls the driver version that I already have (which I think is 6.0.0.1184; not sure, don't have it in front of me). Like, I watch it during the install process, and it says "Installing 6.0.0.1184", as if it picks the older version, like it's a better fit. Compatibility issue maybe?

Anyway, I also went to Lojack's website, and clicked the "Remove Software From Your Computer" option under my account. Supposedly, it will uninstall the next time that my laptop "checks in" with their server. Not sure how often that is. I also found something listed under "Add or Remove Programs" from "Absolute Software" which is the maker of Lojack. I manually uninstalled that. Not sure if it's the same thing, or if I have to wait for something else to uninstall too.

I ran chkdsk last week, and walked away. It was completely booted up by the time I came back, so I'm not sure if it found anything. Is there a log file somewhere? And if so, should I upload it?

We'll see what happens. However, the computer still won't sleep, and I've come to believe that this is related, because over the weekend, my girlfriend had the laptop, and we disabled Sleep Mode as an experiment. She had no problems at all, all weekend. No freeze ups, no blue screens. However, when I got home, we turned it back on. When we left the computer alone for a while, we came back and found the screen off, and the computer frozen (screen wouldn't come back on).

If we still have problems at this point, what should I do? Memtest86, and if that doesn't solve anything, do a refresh? Thanks!

Hi,
this will show how to read the chkdsk logs:
http://mywindows8.org/read-event-viewer-log-check-disk-chkdsk-windows-7-windows-8/
Only upload them if you feel it shows a lot of corruption and repairs as it may be related.

So if I understand you correctly, the BSOD has stopped but the system is still freezing when you try sleep mode? If this is the case then I doubt it will be your RAM although if you want to test the RAM anyway then of course feel free.
Check the event viewer to see if you can see anything related. Also consider whatever third party apps you might be running and how they may affect the system. Also do you have anything plugged into the USB ports when it goes to sleep?

Finally if sleep used to work correctly then if all else fails a refresh may be the answer.

Hi,

Okay, I looked at the chkdsk logs, and nothing major really jumped out. Only a handful of repairs were made, so I'm not too concerned about it.

But anyway, yes it appears that the BSOD has stopped. We haven't gotten one in over a week. But, the system still freezes if it tries to sleep. We've ended up turning Sleep Mode off as a result. For all I know, this might be why we haven't seen any BSODs, as the problems might be related. But as of right now, it appears that the BSOD issue is gone. :)

If the sleep issue is likely not RAM, I won't bother.scanning it. But anyway, I'm not familiar with the Event Viewer. What exactly should I look for? And no, there is nothing plugged into the USB ports.

I'm not sure if I need to create a new thread for my sleep issues (if I do, let me know), but anyway, it seems that the only time that sleep mode works consistently, is if all users are logged out. If I'm at the login screen, the computer will enter sleep, regardless of what method I use (wait, manually enter it, close the cover, etc). But as soon as I login, the computer won't enter sleep. Could this be some sort of third party app/process preventing it? And any idea how I could narrow down which one it is? I've already tried disabling all startup items, and it still does the same.

Thanks in advance! And thank you sooooo much for all of your help! It's a relief that we might have at least solved the BSOD.

Hi,
did sleep mode ever work successfully from the point you bought the laptop? If it did then as I mentioned above that a Reset may now be the way to go.

Regarding the Event viewer, this guide will show you what to look for and how to read the event entries. Now if you know the actual time of a freezing event you can look for entry which relates to the time it happened and see what it says:
http://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson3/

No need to create a new thread either.

Please post if you find anything of import in the event viewer.

Sorry, I forgot to say, yes sleep mode has worked from the time that I bought the laptop (I've had it for years now), until a few months ago. So apparently, something messed it up. Anyway, is Reset the only way that we might be able to solve this? I thought of doing a System Restore, but the oldest restore point that I have is from December. I was wondering if there was a way to pinpoint which program was causing the problem. If not, we might just suck it up, and turn sleep mode off so we don't have to lose everything. My girlfriend uses the laptop a lot more than me, and she doesn't like the idea of starting over. :p

So, it sounds like you can use Event Viewer to troubleshoot freezing issues if you know when the computer froze? If so, maybe this can help, since trying to enter sleep sometimes causes freezes. I'll take a look when I get the chance, and will report back when I do.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom