Windows 7 BSOD during sfc /scannow

Dan Beckwith

I've been having a series of problems with my PC.

Firstly, my startup time would be outrageously long, occasionally with Windows running CHKDSK.
A few times I would get a BSOD while booting the computer and it will try and restart again, and do this until it managed to turn on.

I booted today and I received an error saying "C:\windows\system32\newdev.dll - not a valid win 32 app." and then everything crashed again.

I've done a bit of looking around forums and such, and saw that I should run sfc /scannow to replace any corrupted system files, but when I get to a certain point during the validation phase of the scan, I BSOD again.

I've attached my W7F Diagnostic minidump.

Thanks!

Attachments

• danbeckwith.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 580
Last edited:
No current memory dumps in the uploaded files (the most recent is from Oct 2012). There are many different things that could cause this. For starters:

If the hard drive fails the test the very first thing to do is to back-up your data. There's no telling when the drive will stop working - so it's important to back-up IMMEDIATELY (just to nag, you should have backed up already anyway! :0).

Also check this setting to see if the system is set to generate minidumps: Set MiniDump

The WER section of MSINFO32 shows several STOP 0x50 errors blaming IOMap64.sys This file is a driver component of your ASUS Smart Doctor/iTracker 2 software. Please un-install that to see if it stops the BSOD's. If not, then please run Driver Verifeir according to these instructions: Driver Verifier Settings

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting. Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen dtsoftbus01.sys blamed on several occasions).

Also, please un-install the AsRock XFastUSB and XFastLAN utilities as they are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems.

You have both AVG and Norton 360 installed. Please do this:
Make sure that AVG is the latest released version.