Windows 7 BSOD during sfc /scannow

Dan Beckwith

I've been having a series of problems with my PC.

Firstly, my startup time would be outrageously long, occasionally with Windows running CHKDSK.
A few times I would get a BSOD while booting the computer and it will try and restart again, and do this until it managed to turn on.

I booted today and I received an error saying "C:\windows\system32\newdev.dll - not a valid win 32 app." and then everything crashed again.

I've done a bit of looking around forums and such, and saw that I should run sfc /scannow to replace any corrupted system files, but when I get to a certain point during the validation phase of the scan, I BSOD again.

I've attached my W7F Diagnostic minidump.

Thanks!

Attachments

• danbeckwith.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 580
Last edited:
No current memory dumps in the uploaded files (the most recent is from Oct 2012). There are many different things that could cause this. For starters:
At work we start all repairs with a set of diagnostics. Often they find problems that weren't even expected. It's a waste of time to try to fix software on a system that has hardware problems.
Please try these free diagnostics for starters: Initial Hardware Diagnostics
Also, please ensure that you have ALL available Windows Updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

If the hard drive fails the test the very first thing to do is to back-up your data. There's no telling when the drive will stop working - so it's important to back-up IMMEDIATELY (just to nag, you should have backed up already anyway! :0).

Also check this setting to see if the system is set to generate minidumps: Set MiniDump

The WER section of MSINFO32 shows several STOP 0x50 errors blaming IOMap64.sys This file is a driver component of your ASUS Smart Doctor/iTracker 2 software. Please un-install that to see if it stops the BSOD's. If not, then please run Driver Verifeir according to these instructions: Driver Verifier Settings

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting. Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen dtsoftbus01.sys blamed on several occasions).
Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration): [DEL] DuplexSecure - FAQ [/DEL] Link broken as of 21 Jul 2012
New link (15 Aug 2012): DuplexSecure - Downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link: Disc-Tools.com
Manual procedure here: Registry and SPTD problems | DAEMON Pro Help

Also, please un-install the AsRock XFastUSB and XFastLAN utilities as they are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems.

You have both AVG and Norton 360 installed. Please do this:
Anti-Virus Removal:
Please do the following:
- download a free anti-virus for testing purposes: Free AntiVirus If using Windows 8, enable Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall instead.
- un-install the Norton from your system (you can reinstall it, if so desired, when we're done troubleshooting)
- remove any remnants of Norton using this free tool: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN
- IMMEDIATELY install and update the free anti-virus (if using Win8, enable Windows Defender), then check to ensure that the Windows Firewall is turned on.
- perform a full system scan to ensure that no malware has snuck onto your system while the anti-virus was malfunctioning.
- check to see if this fixes the BSOD's
NOTE: NEVER run more than 1 anti-virus, firewall, Internet Security/Security Center application at the same time.
Make sure that AVG is the latest released version.

Back