Windows 7 BSod, Now I have Boot Issues

moonknightfan

Hello,
I will try to be as detailed about my problem as possible.

While browsing using Chrome I received frequent recurring unresponsive warnings, followed by screen corruption/artifacting, followed by my first BSod (In 7). Attached to this post is a screenshot of the DMB File as detected by BlueScreenView. I also have the W7F Diagnostic attached. After the forced reboot, my computer wouldn't post. Nothing came on the monitor, no beeps were heard. I attached a second monitor, which didn't solve the problem. Fearing hardware failure, I unplugged my computer and detached the easy stuff first: Optical drives and my Sata HD's. After which my computer posted. I then systematically plugged the devices back in to find out which was the culpret. However, I was able to successfully plug all of them back in and the computer posted fine (very weird).

I then booted into Windows 7 Safe mode. I ran a Full Norton Scan, CCleaner, TDSSKiller, Malware Bytes, and Even checked through a HiJack this logfile. None of them found any suspicious files (I still fear a virus). I then Ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics, which found no problems either.
I then booted back into regular mode and updated my drivers (as I read online that can be a problem). The only out of date drivers were my network card and Video Card. After updating these, I found a problem in the Device Manager with AODDriver 4.1. It says the Device is not present or not working properly.
Games and programs in Windows 7 run noticabbly worse now. I also notice occasional slow down periods that are intermittent. I see nothing obvious in the taskmanager taking up resources.
Worst of all, however, is that when my PC boots now, it goes to a white curser before loading into windows. This curser flashes for a while, and drops down 4 lines after a few moments. After which, the windows 7 loading screen comes back.
I attempted to fix this in the Windows Recover mode (pressing F8 during boot). However this ran into problems. When running the Startup Repair, it errored saying Hard Disk Could Not Be Found. When I ran the Command prompt and typed BootRec.exe /FixMbr it errored saying Device Not ready.

What could be the issue here? Are there any other software scans I should run to ensure There isn't a vicious virus messing with my computer? What could have gone wrong? Is this a hardware issue that I can't seem to understand? I really appreciate your time. Thanks!

My PC Specs:
Windows 7 64Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 965
8GB Ram
1TB Raid (2x 1TB HD's Data Security RAID)
MSI Motherboard MS-7577

Attachments

• BlueScreenView.JPG
    BlueScreenView.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 397
  • W7F_01-10-2012b.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 424
There are no memory dumps in the upload. Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of that folder. Then upload it with your next post. If there's nothing there, please let us know (CCleaner could've deleted them).

AODDriver is a component of AMD OverDrive and is known to cause BSOD's in Win7 systems. You have both AODDriver4.01 and AODDriver4.1 - this is gonna be a mess! :(

Let's start with this:
AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys) is either a stand-alone application, or a component of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center. This driver is known to cause BSOD's on some Win7 systems.
Please un-install all AMD/ATI video stuff from Control Panel...Programs...Un-install a program
Then, download (but DO NOT install) a fresh copy of the ATI drivers from Link Removed - Invalid URL (in the upper right corner of the page)
Use this procedure to install the DRIVER ONLY: ATI video cards - DRIVER ONLY installation procedure

If the device (AODDriver or AODDriver4.01) remains a problem, open Device Manager, select the "View" item.
Then select "Show hidden devices" and scroll down to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section.
Locate the AODDriver entry, right click on it and select "Un-install". Reboot for changes to take affect.
Sometimes the driver remains and continues to cause BSOD's. If this is the case for you, post back and we'll give further instructions for safely removing it.

If overclocking, please stop. Remove the overclock and return the system to stock/standard values while we're troubleshooting. Once the system is stable again, feel free to resume the overclocking.
Part of the solution for the above problem is to remove the current drivers and then perform a DRIVER ONLY installation. That should (IMO) fix your issues (if my assumptions are correct).

The most likely reason for the system not finding your hard drive is that you needed to load drivers for it. If the system still boots into Windows - then that's almost certainly the issue. It usually happens with a RAID setup - but it can happen with other setups that Windows doesn't recognize. In your case it appears to be a AMD Mirrored RAID1 array - put the drivers for that on a flash drive and you can point the Startup Repair wizard at them (and the system will boot into Startup Repair)

Your Razer Arctosa drivers date from 2009 - and are known to cause BSOD's. Please update them from the Razer website immediately.

Wireless XBox USB controller is also known to cause BSOD's - but no driver updates are available. Please uninstall the software for this device, then remove the device from your system. Please don't try and use this device again until the system is stabilized (no more BSOD's).

Lot's of other older drivers - but it's not easy without a memory dump to work with.
Please upload a copy of a memory dump (one is good, more are better!) as soon as you can.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply! First off, I want to say I only had one BSoD. My issues have been how my computer functions post BSod. I am trying to fix the issues, and I am greatful for all the help I can get.

There are no files within the C:\Windows\Minidump directory.

I Uninstalled the ATI Driver, and AODDriver4.01 remained. I uninstalled it via right clicking within the Device Manager. I reinstalled the new ATI Driver using the posted method, yet both of the AOD drivers remain.

I installed the AMD Raid drivers, both within the Repair Boot section, as well as within windows itself. When I installed them in the Repair boot, it was finally able to detect my windows install. I ran the repair program, as well as the FixMbr commands. When the computer restarted, the problem remained.

To reiterate, my most pressing issue is that when my computer boots, before loading windows I see a blinking curser that drops down a few lines after a while. This curser screen stays for an extremely long time (several minutes) before windows begins to boot. I have installed the raid drivers multiple times, and the problem has not been corrected.

What I am most confused about is that my computer has undergone No hardware changes in 3 years. I hadn't updated drivers in over 6 months prior to my BSoD. After my BSod certain things began to be erratic. My initial thoughts were a virus, but countless scans have turned up nothing. Could someone explain to me what might be occurring that could be an issue. Could the Crash have damaged something? Thanks for your time.

OK, most likely (IMO) this is either a low-level driver problem or a hardware problem. All of the drivers that I suggested in my previous post could have caused this - if you haven't replaced or removed them, please do so now.

The symptoms that you describe tend to suggest the video card, but again it's not certain that that's it (for example, if it's a hard drive problem, Windows could be error checking the info from the hard drive (which does take a long time on occasion)).
The missing memory dumps and some of the erratic behavior are suggestive of a hard drive problem.

So, let's switch our emphasis to hardware testing (presuming that you've taken care of all the driver stuff in my previous post).
Please perform the free diagnostic tests at this link: Link Removed - Invalid URL
Please make sure to run all the tests (with the exception of the malware tests - as you've done them already).
Let us know the results and we'll move on from there.

Back
Top Bottom