Windows 7 BSoD SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION when either exiting or panning out of a game.

RingAnimated

I got this BSoD when clicking on Google Chrome (which was open) after exiting Guitar Hero 3. I also got another one the other day when panning in and out of GTA IV, also while trying to go to chrome. (The old dmp I don't have sadly...) And also the first one when watching a video on Windows Media Player and going to Skype in my second monitor...the first and newest one in the DMP pointed to the same 2 files (dwm.exe and win32k.sys)

I am not very good at analyzing DMP's though...so yeah...I think I need some help.

Thanks In Advance, ThePhobiaPony aka "RingAnimated"

Attachments

• 041414-27253-01.dmp
    288.5 KB · Views: 378
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff96000302945, fffff880065c9150, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!MulAssociateSharedSurface+15 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
the above bugcheck can be caused by out of date bios, corrupt process or hardware error. Trouble is with only one dump file it's difficult to spot trends and issues. If you have anymore then please send them in.

Your missing a service pack. Please download and install SP1 for Windows 7:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5842
If you have trouble installing the update you might need the update readiness pack:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3132

BiosVersion = P1.00
BiosReleaseDate = 01/18/2012
The Bios is old. Please update to latest version making sure I have the correct motherboard.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS FX/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

AsrAppCharger.sys Tue May 10 09:28:46 2011: ASRock App Charger Likely BSOD cause un-install to test.

bcmwlhigh664.sys Tue Apr 19 08:13:08 2011: Broadcom 802.11 USB Network Adapter Driver please update:
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/

usbaapl64.sys Tue Nov 27 23:38:02 2012: Apple iPod/iPhone Mobile USB device driver please update:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/

If after updating the above you still get bsod then please download and run memtest86:
http://www.memtest.org/

Post any new dump files.

I'll see what I can do with that. I do still have the dmp for the first one.

EDIT! I bet you it has to do with that network adapter thing...those causing me BSoD's is unbelievable high on the causes there.

Attachments

• 032914-32931-01.dmp
    284.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 50, {fffff900c22f3cf0, 0, fffff9600036260d, 0}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!SFMLOGICALSURFACE::OwnsSurfaceCleanup+2d )

Hi,
win32k.sys usually appears when there's a hardware issue, old bios or overclocking. Try the changes outlined above. Try running a chkdsk too:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Ill try to work that out tomorrow. Heres another one, and by looking at it in debugging tools the gist is the same...dwm.exe and win32k.sys. Happened after trying to go to Chrome after exiting GTA IV...

Attachments

• 041414-20701-01.dmp
    288.5 KB · Views: 410
Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff96000272945, fffff880060af150, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!MulAssociateSharedSurface+15 )

Hi,
same as before. Try the changes outlined above.

Just updated BIOS and ran CHKDSK...now I guess just to wait...

EDIT! So far so good, played GTA IV for about 3 or 4 minutes and then did everything that would usually cause to blue screen to occur. The only thing is though the game was lagging pretty bad though...

EDIT 2: I just played it for probably half an hour and went to chrome without a problem. I think the BIOS upgrade may have actually fixed it! LOL!

Last edited:
Just got a new one, yet again, same blue screen and it was opening Google Chrome after exiting GTAIV...I also had FRAPS running and this time it seems the DMP file failed to write. I can't get the service pack sadly running Gamer Edition I don't think either...

No dump file? Are you definitely sure it was a bsod? Try checking the Event viewer and see if it has any useful info.
Make sure your settings are set to produce dump files:

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter

Click on the Advanced tab

Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button

Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked

Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box

Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.

Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

If you can't install the service pack did you try the update readiness tool?

Gamer edition? Not sure what you mean by this reference.

No dump file? Are you definitely sure it was a bsod? Try checking the Event viewer and see if it has any useful info.
Make sure your settings are set to produce dump files:

If you can't install the service pack did you try the update readiness tool?

Gamer edition? Not sure what you mean by this reference.
Gamer Edition actually has restart on system failure by default set to false. And it was a bsod, I saw it, and it was the same as the rest...I am going to do a little research on how FRAPS reacts with GTAIV...Since the BIOS update it hasn't done this.

And just checked the event viewer...none of the more recent BSoD's are listed.

EDIT!: Windows Update encountered an unknown error...this was caused only with 2 security updates.

Well if you do manage to get a dump file send it in. Also just make sure windows isn't corrupt. Open an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Well if you do manage to get a dump file send it in. Also just make sure windows isn't corrupt. Open an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.
I have been noticing windows acting funny. It's probably time for a reinstall.

I gotta go to bed after the reboot so yeah. I'll probably try playing other games tomorrow and see if it comes back more.

Here are the results for sfc /scannow

Attachments

• cmdscannowscrsht.png
    cmdscannowscrsht.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 457
Do you have the CBS log that was created also?
Yep. I'll add it. Also I have a screenshot of something flashing on and off on my taskbar. It looks media settings related.

says the log file is too big. But I'll send the screenshot of the program blinking on and off. Researched it and found it is a problem with Mobile Partner. OUC Though I doubt this has anything to do with the bsod's (unless its dwm.exe related, I think one of the blue screens mentioned that.)

Attachments

• oucfailure.png
    oucfailure.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 473
Something I may have figured out (though I do more hardware then software.). The BIOS update definitely helped. But after opening up FRAPS, the game was acting really weird (I mean, it normal for any game to lag a bit on any computer at some point)...and also being that FRAPS probably has to work with dwm to be able to work right (probably any screen recorder has to...and fraps isn't like any other screen recorder.) also that fraps does take up resources and stuff like that, and dwm is a system service type exe, and fraps is taking a lot of resources, when I'm exiting, inside the workings of the 2 programs, trying to open something, even something that was previously opened before...DWM might be crashing from the FRAPS in, and fraps not shutting up while exiting/panning out of a game to something else like an internet browser...

Conclusion: Either DWM.exe is malfunctioning, or FRAPS is. More likely DWM as I said one time I got this panning in and out of windows media player full screen. And it mostly seems to always be the same 2 files.

Something I may have figured out (though I do more hardware then software.). The BIOS update definitely helped. But after opening up FRAPS, the game was acting really weird (I mean, it normal for any game to lag a bit on any computer at some point)...and also being that FRAPS probably has to work with dwm to be able to work right (probably any screen recorder has to...and fraps isn't like any other screen recorder.) also that fraps does take up resources and stuff like that, and dwm is a system service type exe, and fraps is taking a lot of resources, when I'm exiting, inside the workings of the 2 programs, trying to open something, even something that was previously opened before...DWM might be crashing from the FRAPS in, and fraps not shutting up while exiting/panning out of a game to something else like an internet browser...If this is total bullcrap, then just ignore it, because I am most likely wrong. lol

Conclusion: Either DWM.exe is malfunctioning, or FRAPS is. More likely DWM as I said one time I got this panning in and out of windows media player full screen. And it mostly seems to always be the same 2 files.

Trouble is because your using a Gamer edition we are limited on possibilities for repair and your most likely route would be to re-install. Also is Fraps the most up to date version?

Trouble is because your using a Gamer edition we are limited on possibilities for repair and your most likely route would be to re-install. Also is Fraps the most up to date version?
I don't know, I'll have to check.

Well, FRAPS isn't up to date...I may have to try that. I can't get the service pack at all...being as there isn't a service pack for Gamer.

Back
Top Bottom