Windows 7 BSOD upon waking from Sleep ....SF Diag ToolInfo Included!

wader2k

Hello all!

Great forum and nice set of tools here! This is a new Gateway FX6831-01 and I just had a BSOD after waking it from sleep mode. The messages went by fairly fast and the system rebooted itself. No other problems since, but I'd like to have a clue what caused it and eliminate it in the future!

I am new to Win 7 and like what I see so far. I completely skipped Vista....my last PC( may it rest in peace) was an XP box.

Anyway...attaching the Zip file created with the SF Diag Tool.
Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Wade

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    162.7 KB · Views: 294
Hi and welcome.

Below are the current drivers you have installed and the links to updates for them.

Code:
iaStorV  iaStorV.sys  Wed Apr 08 12:57:17 2009

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?iid=gg_support-EN_01+home_downloadctr

--------

Uninstall any of the software on the following link that you have, to remove this driver:

Code:
UBHelper UBHelper.sys Mon Apr 27 04:48:19 2009

UBHelper.sys Windows process - What is it?

---------

Code:
RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Oct 27 23:40:54 2009

Realtek

---------

Code:
atikmdag atikmdag.sys Wed Nov 18 14:14:44 2009

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Hi!

Following your links.

The first one is to the Intel Driver Updater Utility. I ran it and it found an update to the Gigabit Network driver. Installed it even though it notes OEM driver might be better.

The 2nd Link I must admit has me puzzled. It links to a site that has a crippleware registry cleaner and some limited info about a file calledUBHelper.sys. I can't say what I should do with this info?

The 3rd link is for the Realtek drivers on my system and brings up something I was wondering about. SIW lists 2 Sound devices under Hardware. ATI High Def Audio Device and Realtek High Def Audio. Why is there 2? My system also came with a THX Audio Control Panel that I haven't messed with yet. I'll go ahead and update the Realtek driver (Again I see notes to the affect that the OEM driver might be better optimized).

The 4th Link is to the latest ATI Catalyst 10.7. I hadn't updated that yet because I was trying to figure out what version I had(drivers AND CCC). My last GPU was NVIDIA and I'm totally confused with ATI's dating scheme. Not even sure I need the Catalyst Control Center...just the driver....as I suspect other utilites are better than CCC.

Hi and welcome.

Below are the current drivers you have installed and the links to updates for them.

Code:
iaStorV  iaStorV.sys  Wed Apr 08 12:57:17 2009
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?iid=gg_support-EN_01+home_downloadctr

--------

Uninstall any of the software on the following link that you have, to remove this driver:

Code:
UBHelper.sys Windows process - What is it?

---------

Code:
RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Oct 27 23:40:54 2009
Realtek

---------

Code:
atikmdag atikmdag.sys Wed Nov 18 14:14:44 2009
Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Update. I ggogled UBHelper.sys and after a little reading I found that the Gateway MyBackup program that Gateway provides is actually from NewTech Infosystems. You say I should remove it. I assume it is known to cause problems? I doubt I would ever use it anyway, but googling didn't seem to provide any info.

edit: Microsoft even lists it as compatible?

Last edited:
Windows didn't detect any new Realtek drivers but I went ahead and grabbed the latest from Realtek's page.....and after installing it seems to be the same driver I had. Same date.

Realtek Audio was Oct 27, 2009. The new driver install would have made it 8/3/2010. Don't worry about optimize this or that as I gave you the best links in the world. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Yep, uninstaller whatever software concerns that UBHelper driver.

ATI driver highly recommended to install or I wouldn't have posted about it.

wader2k said:
I found that the Gateway MyBackup program that Gateway provides is actually from NewTech Infosystems.

Right, this must be some software by NewTech Infosystems. Yours is a bit obsolete and therefore may be causing problems.

Code:
I too would recommend you either uninstall it or update to the latest version. Most likely Gateway gave you a limited license for this soft, means you can't upgrade it now for free, so you may want to just uninstall it.

wader2k said:
The 4th Link is to the latest ATI Catalyst 10.7. I hadn't updated that yet because I was trying to figure out what version I had(drivers AND CCC). My last GPU was NVIDIA and I'm totally confused with ATI's dating scheme. Not even sure I need the Catalyst Control Center...just the driver....as I suspect other utilites are better than CCC.

Your 2009 ATI version should definitely be updated, otherwise there's a good chance it's gonna be causing more problems. What you need is either AMD site Option 1 - CCC software suite, or Option 2 - Display driver + CCC to download and install each separately.

Catalyst 10.7 is Ok, but if you're a gamer you may want Catalyst 10.3 (known for its smoother performance):

ATI Catalyst 10.3 Windows 7 | Vista (64-bit) download from Guru3D.com

ATI Catalyst 10.3 Windows 7 | Vista (32-bit) download from Guru3D.com

Thanks for the help folks!

Sorry it took so long to get back here. I had a long day.

To continue on from last nite:

Somehow I had the realtek driver update screwed up. Redid it and now my Driver is dated 7/28/10. Not the 8/3/10 I expected but it's a lot closer<grin>.

Deleted Gateway MyBackup to get rid of UBHelper.

Gigabit Network driver updated.

Catalyst 10.8 was released today and seeing as how I was feeling lucky<groan> I went ahead loaded it. I can always go back to 10.3 if I need to.

This covers all the advice given so far. I won't know if this fixes the Sleep/Powerup for sure right away but I will keep you updated. Any other advice is MOST welcome as I am new to Win 7 and ATI in particular and this PC is a big upgrade from my last(E6400 with an 8800XT on Win XP). I already managed to fix one goofy problem. System Restore wouldn't turn on. My system had a Ghost Partition labeled "Missing" indicated in the system restore screen that was enabled and I had to disable system restore for it before I could enable it for the proper Wiindows partition.

I'm going to be doing a lot of reading here for awhile! Will definitely update this thread for further status on the BSOD.

Thanks again!

Awesome with all that. Good job with it. I think you'll be well off from here on out. Please keep us updated in any case. And you're welcome.

Another BSOD upon Waking from Sleep Mode today.

SF Diag Tool info attached. It contains both the original dump file and the new one.

Ideas?

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    243.5 KB · Views: 382
Cool. Gateway doesn't say who makes this m/b.....speculation is it's foxconn......but I found the driver on Gateway support page. Intel_Matrix_Storage_MGMT-8.9.4.1004.zip. This sound right? It is dated 4/29/10 but I don't trust the dates on Gateway's site.
I don't see this driver in the Device Manager....where is it located? All I see is the JMicron under Storage Controller.
I don't have the faintest what this driver does? Do I just extract the zip and run the exe?

Well I seem to have bumbled thru it. I really need to know more!

Before running the update I found the program in the start menu and clicked on it. It said it wouldn't start due to a missing plugin and that it wasn't installed correctly. I'm not sure exactly what it does but how did my PC run without the Drive Control manager not functioning? I ran the update and it was successful. 8.9.4.1004 is the version.

Gotta say that the Gateway Update program that is supposed to track driver updates and such is worthless. It hasn't identified one old driver. I'm sure that surprises no one.

While I was at Gateways support page I also saw Chipset drivers (2 versions....9.1.1.1015 and 9.1.1.1019) and an Intel iAMT driver. Should I look into these 2?

Not yet. So far it has only crashed 2 times after sleeping overnite. Hadn't really tested to see if it was consistent....It did wake successfully on at least 3 occasions though, so it's definitely intermittent.

We shall see!

Ah, alright. If you want to check on the date of the new driver you installed, go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Then right click on iaStorV.sys and choose properties. Details tab. Look at the modified date. It should be newer than the April 2009 one which was previously there.

If it's not, install this patch from Microsoft which will update it for sure.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018

Last edited:
ps. I have 3 weeks to decide if I'm keeping this or returning for my money back from Tigerdirect. Any ideas on things I should test...utilities and such?

I haven't even got around to loading up some games and testing the GPU yet.

8^)

10/13/09 is the date.....

Ah, alright. If you want to check on the date of the new driver you installed, go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Then right click on iaStorV.sys and choose properties. Details tab. Look at the modified date. It should be newer than the April 2009 one which was previously there.

If it's not, install this patch from Microsoft which will update it for sure.

A hotfix rollup that improves the reliability and the performance of an Advanced Format disk with a 4KB physical sector size on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 is available

Ah yeah, check it once again. I wrote the wrong driver in my previous post and then edited it. Check iaStorV.sys instead of iaStor.sys.

Back