Windows 10 BSOD Varying Problems

Moz

So I had Windows 8.1 and manually installed the latest nvidia drivers. This was fine for a couple of days and then I started getting BSODs repeatedly. I left the computer for a day, and when I came back the next day it worked for 20 minutes before another series of BSODs. I rang dell support and they had me reinstall Windows however straight after Windows 10. I got another BSOD with the same error. I had done a custom install and removed all partitions which should have deleted the ineffective driver. So again I leave it another day and when I come back today it works for an hour before another series of BSODs. I have a varying number of error messages which are all driver related even though I have uninstalled the nvidia drivers I had even on the fresh install of Windows 10. What is the problem?

Thanks, Owen

Hi Owen,
ideally we need to see your dump files (if you have any) which, if your settings are correct, are produced when a pc blue screens. You can find these dump files in folder marked 'minidump' in the main Windows folder on the C drive.
If you read the thread here it has an app to help collect the data as well as advice on system settings to produce bsod's:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3D, {fffff8031992fad8, fffff8031992f2f0, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for iaStorAV.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for iaStorAV.sys
Probably caused by : iaStorAV.sys ( iaStorAV+688b )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
out of the dump files posted this was the only one to actually mention a driver. One was too corrupt to open and the others: 3x Bugcheck 7e (out of date bios, new hardware issues and device driver issues), 1x Bugcheck A (device driver issues, bios issues and system service issues) all blame the system kernel.
The above probable cause is your Intel Rapid storage driver. As it's the only dump file to mention anything specific we'll start with the obvious and see how we go.
iaStorAV.sys Thu Feb 19 12:08:39 2015: Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. Laptop drivers are almost exclusively supplied by the manufacturer apart from some GPU drivers. I see looking on your systems support page that you have a slightly later driver than the one above. Please first remove the original driver before installing the new version.
Product Support | Dell US

Regarding your GPU driver, this is going to sound odd but please re-install the nvidia gpu driver off the support site:
nVIDIA GeForce GTX660, GTX670, GTX680, GTX690, GTX760, GTX760Ti, GTX770, GTX780, GTX960, GTX970, GTX980, GTX980Ti, GTX TitanX, GTX TitanZ Win10 64bit WHQL Desktop Graphics Driver Driver Details | Dell US

The reason I want you to do this is so you can then use the Display Driver Uninstaller to then remove the driver. This has to be done in safe mode and the DDU will remove everything including anything left behind by previous GPU driver installs
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.7.5.5 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

Once you've removed the driver and rebooted, install the driver again and hopefully this time you won't have any issues.

Please run these scans to check for and repair corruption:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Ok see how you get on. If the bsod continues then you may want to consider applying a bios update which is available. Check the support page under bios but if your not familiar with the process then you may want to get another to do it?

Post any new dump files.

Well I did all that and as I restart it I get another BSOD and the error kmode_exception_not_handled. Gonna just switch it off till tommorow and can give you the new dump files then but I'm not really sure what the problem is..

Well I did all that and as I restart it I get another BSOD and the error kmode_exception_not_handled. Gonna just switch it off till tommorow and can give you the new dump files then but I'm not really sure what the problem is..
Hi Owen,
don't get too disgruntled as it may take a few dump files before we narrow down the actual problem. Sometimes the culprit can be masked by other drivers but testing will eventually find the true issue it's just a matter of time.

I'll look for your dump files in the morning.

Here's the new dump files, also I dont know if this could be a reason but i downloaded the Intel(R) Driver update utility and it gave me 3 new drivers, however only 1 out of the 3 downloaded for some reason. I believe the reason was my computer didnt have high enough specs for them. The one which installed was the Intel Chipset Device Software and the two that didnt were both graphics drivers although they look to be the same thing.

Thanks in advance, Owen

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    750.4 KB · Views: 405
Code:

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff801cd0c0116, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

Probably caused by : win32kbase.sys ( win32kbase!RIMGetDeviceObjectPointer+85 )

Hi Owen,
the above bugcheck is usually caused by drivers although I couldn't see anything named specifically.
also I dont know if this could be a reason but i downloaded the Intel(R) Driver update utility and it gave me 3 new drivers

The trouble is when you use the Intel(R) Driver update utility to get your drivers it get's them from Intel and not Dell. If you remember I mentioned that laptop drivers are always supplied by the manufacturer and differ from usual drivers. If you try to use drivers other than the ones specified on the support page then you can get issues and blue screens (kinda what your already seeing). The only exception to this rule is graphic drivers.
Please go to your support page:
Product Support | Dell US

Make sure your in the Windows 10 driver section, look under 'Chipset' and install both drivers in that section. (just check your remove programs section and if you see a Intel chipset driver uninstall it first before installing the new version.)

Uninstall your Intel rapid storage driver and then install the version found here:
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver Driver Details | Dell US

Please don't use driver update utilities as they do get it wrong on occasion and your far better off learning where to find these drivers yourself (Dell support page)

Did you run the scans? If so what were the results?

Post any new dump files.

Hmm so I was able to install one of the chipset drivers (the 15 mb one) and I installed the rapid storage driver but as soon as I finished the first chipset I got a BSOD loop. I'll try and get back in to install the other and run the scans and then get back to you

Hi Moz,
if you can try and boot into safe mode and then use 'system restore' to go back before the drivers were installed:
  1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power
    5a774598-9041-49c1-ac51-955242b27bd4_50.png
    > Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Start-up Settings >Restart.

3. After your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you’ll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
If you have a Windows 10 install disk you can boot from that, enter the recovery console and then safe mode. Try uninstalling the Intel drivers you have in the remove programs section.

Hi Restoring to a different time is always the least evasive and the best first choice. I also like your way of getting to the recovery mode for W10.
Very nice @kemical :up:

Well i installed the drivers before updating to windows 10 so I dunno if that would change anything. Anyway these are the new dump files i got. I'll try run some scans when it stops crashing as they take a while

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    859.3 KB · Views: 441
Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80200503245, ffffd0002046e660, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!SeAccessCheckWithHint+b5 )

Hi,
this dump file is blaming a system service and I can see Defender was running at the time of the bsod.
Well i installed the drivers before updating to windows 10 so I dunno if that would change anything.
But I thought you did a custom install after upgrading (according to your first post)?

Try running those scans outlined above and the bsod continues try system restore. That Dell tech should never have got you to upgrade to windows 10 whilst it was blue screening as the issue has simply followed you. You may even need to try a reset to get things back on track but first see how you go with the scans. I will be back in the morning

Yes it was a custom install so I thought that would delete previous drivers and stuff as I deleted all the partitions. Guess not though, anyway I'll try run those scans now but I usually blue screen before it finishes

Edit: yea it's impossible to run a scan before bsod comes in. Only got to 68% verification

Edit 2: was able to run the scan from safe mode. It said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Last edited:
Yes it was a custom install so I thought that would delete previous drivers and stuff as I deleted all the partitions.
If it was a custom install then yes everything would have been removed especially if you'd deleted the partitions.

You could try and install the drivers from your support page (after removing the originals of course) but as your not having much success accessing controls you may have too much corruption.

I have a sneaking feeling that after the custom install you installed the drivers but not from the Dell site which is why the bsod started up again, yes?

In any case I'd try either a system restore and go back right to the beginning or do a RESET which will remove your currently installed drivers and apps. You can choose to keep your personal folders or get rid of everything it's up to you.
Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help
Once your back into Windows 10 you can then go to your systems support page at Dell and install your drivers. Do not use any Driver auto updaters as they can get it wrong.
Just as a precaution I'd download a copy of your network driver and if possible pop it on a disk or USB drive. This is just in case you need it after the RESET.
Good luck! Post back with any new dump files or issues.

Well I believe Windows automatically installed the drivers as I didn't do it myself but I did remove the partitions so I can't see why there was a problem, I got BSODs even though I didn't install any drivers myself. like as soon as I finished the Windows 10 clean install I got a bsod on the first start up so I don't understand why. Anyway I just installed the 75mb driver and I'll see if that solves the problem. I'll reinstall Windows 10 again if it doesnt

Edit: yea I still get blue screens gonna do a custom install now and delete all the partitions and such

Hi Moz,
As soon as you get back into windows 10 go to your support page and install the drivers. Windows update can also install drivers not suitable which is why many of us where so upset when Microsoft decided to remove control over the WU app. I'd even go as far as to unplug from the net (making sure you downloaded all your drivers first of course).
Best of luck!

Once the drivers are installed you can of course re-enable the net.

I just finished installing Windows 10 and I haven't even been able to get into my desktop before a BSOD loop. Obviously that hasn't fixed anything. Deleted partitions and everything. What could be the problem if it isn't drivers?

Damn!
I really need to see your dump files so as soon as you get access please post. It's possible that it could be hardware related although if you can boot into safe mode and the bsod stops then chances are it's a driver.
Do you still have access to windows 8.1? If you did you could try installing 8.1, see how stable it is and if possible then flash the bios to the later version.
I just finished installing Windows 10 and I haven't even been able to get into my desktop before a BSOD loop. Obviously that hasn't fixed anything. Deleted partitions and everything. What could be the problem if it isn't drivers?
As I mentioned previously you do have a bios update pending which seems to be Windows 10 related:
bios.JPG

If you decide to run it though I'd first try running it in safe mode. You can't have a bsod half way through a bios flash so the system has to be stable. Do not try this if the machine isn't stable. I would also right click on it and run as admin.

First things first let me see some dump files and I'll be able to advise you further.

Back