Windows 10 BSOD's and CTD's new PC.

Endstation

Hi, Hoping someone here can help me run through a few things to find out the problem/s I'm having.
I'm using a brand new PC with Win10. Most games and all applications I've used so far are good. Fallout 4 in particular has at times frequent CTD's and over the last couple weeks or so at least 1 BSOD to 4+ a day when playing, DOOM originally locked up on occasion but hasn't since I changed some things.

I'm getting mainly Memory Management BSOD's and Kernel Security Check Failure's. I've had a few others at the start which I seem to have fixed through google but it seems every time I stop seeing one another kind appears. Usually seems to relate to memory in some way. ntoskrnl.exe is coming up alot also.

I've reinstalled all graphics drivers, net framework, vcredists. I've run memory test and a few types of checks and all have come back fine, I have 16gb Ram and 8gb on my 1070 GTX. I'm using the right bios for the right kind of memory on the GPU. I've even reseated the two Ram sticks just incase.

I'll attach all the files I have using W7F Diag tool. I think I've managed to fix the gpcidrv64.sys error, it's not appeared since I removed a gigabyte program.

If you want me to run though all the memory tests etc again just let me know, there's probably a better order than I've done things in and it's been here and there the last few weeks.

I've also attached a screen of Open Hardware Monitor just after the last CTD while playing fallout, shows the max values everything reached, it may be of use.

Any help is extremely welcome, sorry for the long post!

Attachments

• W7F_12-12-2016.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 453
  • OHM.jpg
    OHM.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 563
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {61941, 254d19cd0a0, d, ffff9b80db2dda80}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+3bd9a )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
as pointed out by Neem's above the 'driver verifier' caught GPCIDrv64.sys although you say it's now been removed?

As well as the C4 dumps you also have Bugcheck 1A and Bugcheck 50 dumps of which both can be caused by failing hardware/RAM. A number of these dumps blamed the gpu driver directly and to that end try removing your current driver using the DDU as this will clean out any old bit's of driver lying around. Once you've booted back into Windows install a fresh copy of the driver you were using (376.19).

Please run these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

If after making the above changes the bsod continues then you'll need to test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
http://www.memtest.org/

Please post any new dump files

Thanks for the replies. Yes I had GPCIDrv64.sys problems, relating to using Gigabytes 'Xtreme gaming utility' which must use it as I don't and never had Easy Boost installed. I removed the utility completely as it was up to date and haven't had that BSOD since. I will get back to you with the results, I did run sfc last night and nothing was found. Will try again with the rest of the steps.

I am worried it may be a RAM problem, because returning the PC this close to Christmas is going to be a pain!

Thanks

The sfc check returned 'Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations before and after the second scan in the same box. I'll put memtest86 on USB and run it tonight when I'm at work, I did previously download it but didn't use it yet.

No new BSOD's since I posted OP here, only CTD's in Fallout 4 and a game called Guardians of Ember.

I would add that I got the system pre overclocked from Overclockers uk. I haven't checked the Bios to see if there are different saved profiles on there. Though I would expect it to be stable at whatever they sell it at. Its mainly the CPU, I don't think they touched the GPU. I expect the RAM timings have been changed for the CPU though.

Last edited:
I am worried it may be a RAM problem, because returning the PC this close to Christmas is going to be a pain!
If by any chance you do have a bad stick of RAM couldn't you just get them to furnish you with another matched set?

If by any chance you do have a bad stick of RAM couldn't you just get them to furnish you with another matched set?

I hope this is the case, yeah! I've just done a full clean reinstall of the display drivers using DDU, I'll boot up Fallout and give it a go since it's most reliable to break. Although I have had periods of a few hours with no problems or CTD's after messing around with drivers before. Previously it was CTD every 15 mins or so. The BSOD's always come back in the end however.

I'll post anything further, either way I'll be running memtest86 tonight when I go to work.

I've got in from work and it's been 10 hours so far. Attaching a screen of Memtest currently in progress. I guess I will leave it on a couple more hours. I did think at work I should probably have tested one stick at a time! (I can run again if needed that way)

I did notice that the sticks are in slots 2 & 4, would have expected to see them in 1 & 3. But honestly it's been a long time since I built my own PC I'm not sure.

Fallout did lock up totally once and a CTD a couple times when I tested last night. No BSOD though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 591
Attaching a screen of Memtest currently in progress.
I notice that test 6 has 10 errors.

I'd get the RAM replaced.

You could test individual sticks but as nowadays one buy's matched set's it appears the point is moot.

Also are you running overclocked? If so please return to default values until the issue has been found.

Last edited:
I didn't realise you were overclocked until pointed out to me by @nmsuk. I unfortunately missed it and would have asked you to test the RAM with the overclock removed.

Did the machine come pre-overclocked?

If it came pre overclocked, save the current bios config as a profile which I think your board should have and then do optimized defaults and see how it goes.

Yes the PC came pre overclocked. I'll save the profile and try it without. Though if it's sold as stable at that overclock then it should be working fine, either way I have an issue it seems then.

In the interest of pinning down exactly the problem I'll reset the bios, run a couple games then run memtest again tonight. Looks like I'll be sending OCUK an email tomorrow!

Oh a OCUK system. I'll buy components from them but I'd never get a prebuilt system. Well if it runs without. I'm upto trying to get it working with the overclock and save you being without at Xmas.

Oh a OCUK system. I'll buy components from them but I'd never get a prebuilt system. Well if it runs without. I'm upto trying to get it working with the overclock and save you being without at Xmas.

I got lazy:) and individually the parts actually would have cost more seperate wherever I bought them. Thanks, that would be great! I'm on my phone at the moment will be back at PC in just under an hour.

Last edited:
Yes the PC came pre overclocked. I'll save the profile and try it without. Though if it's sold as stable at that overclock then it should be working fine, either way I have an issue it seems then.

In the interest of pinning down exactly the problem I'll reset the bios, run a couple games then run memtest again tonight. Looks like I'll be sending OCUK an email tomorrow!
It could be that the overclock was causing the original bsod although I take it you haven't had a bsod event since removing the driver caught by C4 (driver verifier).
Plus if it was the overclock I'd expect to see some slightly different bugchecks but anyhoo testing should show either way.

In regard to running the test again with the overclock turned off you only need to go as far as Test 6 as that was the test which errored out

Thanks, that would be great! I'm on my phone at the moment will be back at PC in just under an hour.
Er... Did I miss something?

It could be that the overclock was causing the original bsod although I take it you haven't had a bsod event since removing the driver caught by C4 (driver verifier).
Plus if it was the overclock I'd expect to see some slightly different bugchecks but anyhoo testing should show either way.

In regard to running the test again with the overclock turned off you only need to go as far as Test 6 as that was the test which errored out

I don't think you did.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ah sorry I was just meaning I was on my mobile and when I got back home I would reset the BIOS to default settings and see how it runs then.

Since removing the gigabyte program relating to driver GPCIDrv64.sys I haven't had anymore BSOD's of that type. But after that using 'whocrashed' to see my dump files I did get 2 more 'Kernel Security Check failure' BSOD's relating to ntoskrnl.exe (these should be included in original dump file attachement)

So, I reset the BIOS to optimised default settings I haven't had a CTD in F4 yet. I did have a CTD in Guardians of Ember, but that is an early access game and probably has it's share of issues. The CTD did take longer than before to happen also. But I have previously run F4 for a few hours without crashing.

I will start another memtest shortly to see if any errors show up.

Sounds good! Look forward to your next update... Hope all goes well :)

Back