Windows 8 Building a new PC

Goldfynche

My question is, will Windows 8.1 64bit install directly on to a new PC? Or will it have to have had a previous version to replace?

As with all OS....if OEM or retail box, they are installed as a stand alone. The only time will a previous version of windows is needed is when using an upgrade version, which is usually cheaper.

Anyway. Next question. After deserting Windows about 4 years ago, and emigrating to Mac. I find that I am really missing some software I have, that won't run on a Mac. So I am building yet another PC from scratch. The very first one I ever built, actually ran on Dos 6 and Windows 3.1.
Most of my software seems to be for Windows XP. For example. Adobe Premiere Pro. And my Serif Pageplus ver. 6. Which was my favourite version. Was made for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000. Although the last O/S I used it with was Vista Ultimate.
Will these install and update on a new PC with Windows 8.1 or perhaps ver. 10 when it comes out?

BTW. I only joined the forum yesterday, which was my 70th birthday. So many thanks for your birthday wishes.:)

Hi Goldfynche,
Happy Birthday for the other day and welcome to the forum.. :)

Some of the apps you mention above may well have been updated. I'd google their homepage and see if there is an updated version to be had.. There usually is.

Best of luck with the new build.

Thank you. I'm still trying to decide whether I actually need quad core or not. At my age, I won't exactly be charging round the Galaxy, zapping aliens or zombies. So max speed is not too essential. Just a bit of DTP and video editing. And do I really need more than a 1tb hdd? I'm thinking perhaps not.

I guess with a quad you'd get a bit of future proofing and I agree about the storage needs but as they say everyone is different.

Back