Windows 7 Bypassing Network Admin

eagleste15

Hey everyone,

I recently got an HP laptop from mom's work with Windows 7 Pro. She is a teacher and her school was giving away old laptop's to make way for the new ones. Thankfully, she was able to snag one for me, since my old HP died.

The problem that I am coming up against is that I am unable to download anything since the computer can only log into a network username, e.g. RT7/DFS. I tried logging in as the local admin but the administrator privileges have been denied. I have tried enabling the local admin privileges many different ways but it has all been blocked or disabled by the network admin. And if I want to download anything say, Itunes, it requires me to log into the network in order to do so.
I am feeling stuck, and may just need to reformat the computer with another version of Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated!

Look on the bottom of the laptop and see what the laptop came pre-installed with. Sometimes the school system will upgrade or down grade the OS...this is due to overall network compatibility. They tend to stick with one OS and not mix match OS's. Most school network systems tend to use windows Xp Professional...security reasons on the admin level as you have found out.

That being said and if it was me, I would most definitely re-install the OS. If it's xp or xp pro, you will have to contact HP and order a set of recovery dics. It being as old as it is, it most likely came with xp. The last time I order a set, they cost me $20 each. If it has windows 7 on it, you can download and burn and ISO of the OS, being bit specific and install it as long as you have the current PDKey.

I would just order the recovery discs from HP and be done with it and you can use the product key off the bottom of the laptop.

Look on the bottom of the laptop and see what the laptop came pre-installed with. Sometimes the school system will upgrade or down grade the OS...this is due to overall network compatibility. They tend to stick with one OS and not mix match OS's. Most school network systems tend to use windows Xp Professional...security reasons on the admin level as you have found out.

That being said and if it was me, I would most definitely re-install the OS. If it's xp or xp pro, you will have to contact HP and order a set of recovery dics. It being as old as it is, it most likely came with xp. The last time I order a set, they cost me $20 each. If it has windows 7 on it, you can download and burn and ISO of the OS, being bit specific and install it as long as you have the current PDKey.

I would just order the recovery discs from HP and be done with it and you can use the product key off the bottom of the laptop.

Thanks for the info. The LT was installed with windows 7 pro 64bit, so I will probably just see if I can get some recovery disks to essentially wipe out all the school's system settings and start afresh.
Any suggestions on where, who, or how to get those recovery disks? I looked on HP's site and didn't find anything, and I do have the product keys.

Don't waste time tying to order the DVD check out the link in my post above that is the offical MS site to download the DVD ISO for WIN7.

Don't waste time tying to order the DVD check out the link in my post above that is the offical MS site to download the DVD ISO for WIN7.

Ok great.. just making sure. I see the 7 pro for 200 bucks and the home for 100.
Is that what I should i get?

Thanks

No there should be no charge, maybe I gave you the wrong link let me do some checking and I'll get back to you.

That I can't answer a lot of scools don't allow certain downloads. I guess all you can do is try, if it won't work do you have any one you know that would be willing to let you download off their ISP, or if someone has a wireless hot spot with unlimited download.

That I can't answer a lot of scools don't allow certain downloads. I guess all you can do is try, if it won't work do you have any one you know that would be willing to let you download off their ISP, or if someone has a wireless hot spot with unlimited download.

The download is not the issue. It is once its downloaded and I have to go and install it..

Sorry missunderstood, this is a generic version of WIN7 so you will also need to go to the HP site and get the correct drivers for this LT. It might be wise to grab them before reinstalling so you have them at hand on a USB key or SD card.
Once you dowlnload the ISO you wil have to burn it to a DVD. This is a self booting DVD that will start the install process and over write all the data on the hard drive.

Sorry missunderstood, this is a generic version of WIN7 so you will also need to go to the HP site and get the correct drivers for this LT. It might be wise to grab them before reinstalling so you have them at hand on a USB key or SD card.
Once you dowlnload the ISO you wil have to burn it to a DVD. This is a self booting DVD that will start the install process and over write all the data on the hard drive.

Ok sweet.. Thanks!

Back