Windows 7 C:Drive memory on CRITICAL / 'My Documents' got deleted

Dawa

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, 32bit laptop.

So this started with my accidentally deleting the 'My Documents'. At the time of deleting, i think it showed, My Documents is too large for recycle bin. That's why i can't find it there.

(I have tried 'Recuva' to recover deleted files, but 'cause i'm not much of a computer literate, i didn't know what files to retrieve and what to leave. Though, from the files i did bring back, most are corrupted, overwritten or something.)

Also, after My Documents got deleted, under 'C:\Users', a padlock has appeared on my '(User Name) Folder' - but 'Public Folder' is fine.
As i clicked 'User Name' properties, the 'Share With' showed - 'Nobody'. {other options available were 'Homegroup(read), Homegroup (read\write) and Specific People'}. Shouldn't it be showing - 'Advance sharing' ?

Thus, i thought maybe restoring 'User Name' folder to its previous version would work. When i did that, it said - not enough memory. i tried again, 'cause i knew there was more than half of its total capacity available. {I regularly keep a check on it.}

But after repeating the restoring process, i again got 'Not Enough Memory'. Later, when i opened the C:\Drive it really showed that suddenly the drive was low on space- very, very low. i tried 'disk clean' and deleted most of the things from there. Then i opened C:\Drive to check. Instead of making more space, i saw 3.62 GB of Free Space lessen to 2.72 G.B ! However, i still tried for the forth time to restore 'User Name' folder to previous version and got the same regretable 'Not Enough Memory'.

Now the C:\Drive memory is in critical state. Plz, can someone help me ? I'll appreciate it alot ! :confused: :(

1. To retrieve your Documents folder from a restore point, you can use Shadow Explorer. Here is how: ShadowExplorer - Recover Lost Files and Folders - Windows 7 Forums

2. The fact that your C disk is full can have several causes. To find out, do two things:

a) run WinDirStat on C. It will tell you what files use the space - but it will not show the shadows (restore points)

b) open an elevated command prompt (run as admin0 and run this command: vssadmin list shadowstorage --- look for the Allocated number. If that is very high, we may have to reduce the shadowstorage - but NOT before you have not recovered your files.

As an immediate measure to get a bit of relief, run this command: powercfg -h off --- That will delete your hiberfile which is the size of your RAM.

Back