Windows 10 Can I LEGALLY sell Windows 10 USB Stick, USED, but not Registered?

DaveSkynet

I have not entered the product key (registration) yet. I have the USB version. I have installed it on my new computer build.
Can I LEGALLY sell this and will it work o.k. with whoever buys it? I don’t want to get into details about MediaCenter not being supported, but that is a big reason that I might do this. IOW, I don’t want the thread to get all complicated about that. But, if I can’t get it to work out, back to my post title.
For my use I might be better off with 8.1.
Thank you!

Uhm anyone can make a Windows 10 USB stick with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (and it would be more up to date than the one you have), I'd say you sell the USB stick for what it is.. a USB stick, not because it contains Windows 10 Installer, and certainly don't sell your license key. But I could be wrong, you'd have to read through all the legalese that comes with the product.

The USB stick with Window 10 on it doesn't really have what's worth of value. It's the registration key it's self. You could just write it on a napkin and sell it to someone and they can get a copy of Windows 10 off Microsoft.com.

But unless you're selling it to someone for dirt cheap they'd be better off buying a new license because they won't have to worry about the one you sold them being a student version, enterprise or retail, home or pro, IF you really didn't already active it OR if you would try and active it later on.

Sent from my Note 4 using Windows Forum mobile app

I’m talking about recouping most of the $200 that I paid for it, if I decide to go to an earlier version. This, of course, would include the key so that the buyer can use it and have it perform normally. I would then put an earlier version, maybe 8.1 on to my computer. I should have worded it as selling the key I guess. Good point about that person having to trust me.

There's also places selling Windows 8 for around $80 right now, with a free upgrade to 10 ;)

I’m talking about recouping most of the $200 that I paid for it, if I decide to go to an earlier version. This, of course, would include the key so that the buyer can use it and have it perform normally. I would then put an earlier version, maybe 8.1 on to my computer. I should have worded it as selling the key I guess. Good point about that person having to trust me.
So for example, did you buy a Win 10 from like newegg.com? And you're trying to sell that?

So for example, did you buy a Win 10 from like newegg.com? And you're trying to sell that?

Yes, Newegg for $199. It is the 64 Pro version. I can show the person the online reciept.
I really do LIKE 10, and would recommend it to others, but it looks like many people are having problems with it and all of these Media Center type programs that record TV to your hard drive.
I’m going to get the new PC build in a location where I can use it with the old one. (Old one is Win 7 ultimate 64) then if I can not get one of these MC type of programs to work, then I might try to sell it. Newegg just told me to call their customer service. It has been over 3 months, so I can’t imagine them being able to do much about it! I'll call though.
You can see my new build in the area here that shows it. I went Ba**s out on it. It will fly away on you, if you don’t hold the mouse down! LOL
Thank you for your answers everybody, and keep those thoughts coming!

Last edited:
Cool I'll go check out your build. I'm rocking a BestBuy custom Frankenstein build haha!

If I were you I'd hit up some friends. But with something like that which is really just a license it's hard to sell much less for 100% of what you purchased it for. If anything just keep it bro. That way you have thr option to upgrade down the road if you want to. Sucks to be out 200 bucks but what can you do?

Back