Windows 7 Cannot write/overwrite files on other harddrives

Lazure

I have an issue here in Windows 7 that is causing problems. A lot of my programs, even notepad, cannot seem to save to files that exist on my other harddrive. I have a lot of my apps on D:, where XP resides. On C:, is my Windows 7 drive. I installed Photoshop CS4, and tried to make D: the scratch disk. This broke Photoshop because it would not load due to the fact it had an error accessing its scratch disk file, saying it's locked by windows.

Also, I tried to edit an .ini file for a game on D:. When I go to save it, it gives me a 'save as' prompt even tho I did CTRL+S. I tried to overwrite the file, and it tells me that it could not create the file.

What is going on here? Why are my other drives denying me access to them when I'm in Windows 7?? It's impossible for me to run that game properly, because I cannot change its settings in the ini file *AT ALL*.

hmm

If the folders you are saving to are under 'users' on xp, maybe they are locked except for that xp user, or the folders / files are owned by >nobody. Try making your windows 7 username / password same as xp and give that a whirl.

bob

Back
Top Bottom