Windows 7 Canon camera A540, Windows 7, and Autoplay with USB connection

Taildragger

The SHORT of it:

Upgraded from Windows XP to 7. When I plug the camera in, Windows Explorer "sees" it as "Canon Powershot A540" instead of "drive J:", so the Autoplay does not start.
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, or if this is in the wrong thread. If so, please point me in the right direction. TIA

The LONG of it:
Windows 7 won't recognize my camera as a drive, such as "drive J". Instead it sees it (in Windows Manager) as Canon Powershot A540, with subfolders "internal storage", and "external storage". Because of this, Autoplay doesn't come up when it is plugged in. My other camera, a Fuji A303, when plugged in, has the autoplay pop up, and is displayed as "drive J" in Windows Manager. If I take the SD card out of the Canon and put it in a USB card reader, the Autoplay pops up, and "sees" pictures, and Windows Manager calls the card Canon_DC (J:).

A friend says the computer is seeing "plug and play" firmware in the Canon. Did I change something in the camera, or did some kind of software get on the SD card?
Is there some way I can get the computer to "see" the Canon camera as "drive J:" again? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom