Windows 7 Can't add paging file to second drive

carrot

Hi -- I'm trying to add a paging file on a drive besides C:, but my other drives (all of which are working fine) aren't showing in the virtual memory window. (see screen capture in attached file.) This is very odd: a few hours ago, I was seeing all of my drives there, and now they're gone. So I can't find a way to add a paging file to another drive. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Alan

Do you have more that one hard drive or just partitions on the main drive?

It's not a good idea to more the page file to another partition, but to a second hard drive gives better results.

Do you have more that one hard drive or just partitions on the main drive?

Hi, thanks for the response -- yes, I've got two separate drives and am looking to have one paging file on each drive. The mystery is why I'm not even given the option...

I'm presently not using a dual hard drive setup on my Windows 7 machine.

Just a guess, but take a look in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer management and verify the drive is a primary drive also.

Just a guess, but take a look in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer management and verify the drive is a primary drive also.

I went to Disk Management in Computer Management and verified that the drive I'm aiming to put my second paging file on (J:) is listed as the primary partition for that drive. Is that what you meant? I'm attaching a screen capture from that window.

Thanks, Alan

Sorry for not replying soon, I was in school.

I still have no solution for you and I had hoped someone would jump in on this one to solve your problem.

Back