Windows 7 Can't assign drive letter for paritition

wonkinated

I'm running Windows 7 with dual boot to Vista.

My C:\ and a couple of other partitions come up fine, but some are missing. I go into Disk Management to assign a drive letter to these parititions but I get an error.

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up to date. Refresh the view using the Refresh Task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management, or restart the computer."

I've tried refreshing and restarting with no luck.

I went into Vista and it shows the same thing, unassigned drives and no luck assigning a letter.

I get xp running and can see all my parititions with the data in it.

Besides from manually copying data from an unassigned drive to an assigned one, formatting that drive and moving data back using XP. What other options do I have? Help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I'm running Windows 7 with dual boot to Vista.

My C:\ and a couple of other partitions come up fine, but some are missing. I go into Disk Management to assign a drive letter to these parititions but I get an error.

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up to date. Refresh the view using the Refresh Task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management, or restart the computer."

I've tried refreshing and restarting with no luck.

I went into Vista and it shows the same thing, unassigned drives and no luck assigning a letter.

I get xp running and can see all my parititions with the data in it.

Besides from manually copying data from an unassigned drive to an assigned one, formatting that drive and moving data back using XP. What other options do I have? Help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
I have posted the answer to this before but can't recall the thread. But you may try this:

1. Click Start and in Search programs and files box type CMD
  2. From top of Start menu under Programs (1) RIGHT-click CMD> Run as administrator
  3. At the Command prompt (>) type Diskpart and press [ENTER]
  4. Type List Disk [ENTER]
  5. Type Select Disk N ( N = your Disk Number) [ENTER]
  6. Type List Partition [ENTER]
  7. Select Partition n (n=the partition you want) [ENTER]
  8. TypeAssign [ENTER]
Hope this helps to assign the drive letter

Last edited:
Unfortunately the steps you provided didn't work for me.

On the last step it says no volumes specified when I tried to assign a letter to a partition.

When I list all volumes, my unassigned ones are still missing.

Any further help is appreciated!

Unfortunately the steps you provided didn't work for me.

On the last step it says no volumes specified when I tried to assign a letter to a partition.

When I list all volumes, my unassigned ones are still missing.

Any further help is appreciated!
Sorry I missed your feed back till now. I don't know when you posted this. Just saw .

Try these steps:
  1. Open Command Prompt.
  2. Type:
    diskpart
  3. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    list volume
    Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.
  4. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    select volume n
    Select the volume, where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.
  5. At the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:
    • assign letter=L
      Where L is the drive letter you want to assign or change.
      Hope this helps

Last edited:
I tried that when I realised I could only assign a letter to a volume, not a partition.

However upon listing the volumes, as per my previous post, not all were listed.

The ones with drive letters showed fine, but the ones with unassigned letters did not show up in the volumes list.

I decided to go the long way around. I booted XP (which showed all my partitions/volumes) and moved data from the unassigned drive to one recognised by Vista/Windows 7. I then formatted the unassigned drive in Windows 7, was successfully able to assign a letter to the drive and then proceeded to move data back into the drive which works fine now.

It took an hr to move 150gbs of data each way. I know this is a long and tedious task but it's a safe and sure method.

I tried that when I realised I could only assign a letter to a volume, not a partition.

However upon listing the volumes, as per my previous post, not all were listed.

The ones with drive letters showed fine, but the ones with unassigned letters did not show up in the volumes list.

I decided to go the long way around. I booted XP (which showed all my partitions/volumes) and moved data from the unassigned drive to one recognised by Vista/Windows 7. I then formatted the unassigned drive in Windows 7, was successfully able to assign a letter to the drive and then proceeded to move data back into the drive which works fine now.

It took an hr to move 150gbs of data each way. I know this is a long and tedious task but it's a safe and sure method.
Glad to know you found a way to accomplish the task. Thank you for posting the result.

I am having the same issue...how did you perform your copy of the data?

I have tried all of your steps to address this issue. I too couldn't make it work. My question now is how did you perform the copy of the data from the drive without a drive letter assigned to another drive that was functioning as expected?

Neither of the two posters appear to be active mebers any longer. I would suggest you post you problem in a new thread.

I need to assign a letter to disk 0

disk1-1.jpg

disk.jpg

I have posted the answer to this before but can't recall the thread. But you may try this:

1. Click Start and in Search programs and files box type CMD
  2. From top of Start menu under Programs (1) RIGHT-click CMD> Run as administrator
  3. At the Command prompt (>) type Diskpart and press [ENTER]
  4. Type List Disk [ENTER]
  5. Type Select Disk N ( N = your Disk Number) [ENTER]
  6. Type List Partition [ENTER]
  7. Select Partition n (n=the partition you want) [ENTER]
  8. TypeAssign [ENTER]
Hope this helps to assign the drive letter
These steps work for me :). Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom