Windows 8 Can't believe Win 8 does not support low res screens

Yes, but I'd still recommend going for 64 bit windows and dumping your old software. Or finding replacements. 64 bit is more secure, faster and atleast future proof.

Well how about this? I installed Microsoft Bob on Windows 8 RP,32 bit of course.
Microsoft Bob on Windows 8. - YouTube

All 32 bit apps work on my Windows 8 Pro because I have got 32 bit. The smartest thing to do is have 32 bit Windows. The problem is the big stores like Currys and PC World in England sell most 64 bit laptops. You know they don't even sell the OEM version (full install version) of Windows 8. So we can only buy the upgrade version. The stores don't care about what we want,which is a choice.

Although you can use it to do a custom install,where you format the hard drive. Which as the same as you would do with the full install version of Windows 7. Though you must already have a version of Windows on your PC to install Windows 8.

I would never buy a Windows 8 laptop either as you have the problem with secure boot. Which is difficult to disable. Also if you buy such a laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed you get all of the manufacturers unwanted software.

I would much rather buy a Windows 7 laptop and install Windows 8 on that. Then we are not restricted by secure boot and can install whatever OS we want.

Also we know Windows 8 works on Windows 7 and Windows Vista laptops. As I and most members here were using the Beta versions of Windows 8 on our Windows 7 laptops.

As I and most members here were using the Beta versions of Windows 8 on our Windows 7 laptops.

I would challenge that statement as incorrect. Many of us are primarily desktop users although it is true that many do also own a laptop.
Also many of your posts contain information which does contain an element of truth but often you don't get the facts completely correct. Take secure boot for instance. Unless you have a uefi bios you don't even need to worry about it. Even if you do have a uefi bios:
[h=5]How does Windows 8 prevent attackers from replacing boot components?[/h]All systems with the Windows 8 certification use Secure Boot (part of the UEFI specification) to protect hardware-related firmware and the operating-system loader from tampering. Secure Boot can prevent the system from booting if unauthorized changes have been made or possibly even refresh the some boot components, such as the UEFI firmware, to a known good state.
In the case of Windows 7 certified devices, the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) can be used to measure boot code and provide similar protection to UEFI’s Secure Boot feature. In this case the TPM will not unlock the operating-system drive if the BIOS firmware, boot order, MBR, or operating-system boot loader changes, just to name a few (unless an administrator previously authorized it from Windows or until the user provides the BitLocker recovery password). As a result, an attacker trying to replace boot components, or change boot media to force a boot through components they control in an attempt to get the key, will fail. Use of the TPM for boot protection is an effective capability on Windows 7 devices; however, systems equipped with UEFI and its Secure Boot will benefit from the additional security and recovery-related capabilities that UEFI offers.

Windows 8 Boot Security FAQ - Trusted, UEFI, TPM, Help | TechNet

I would ask that rather than make sweeping statements which are based on ignorance please check up on the actual requirements before going ahead and posting.

10 years ago most people used a full sized computer or desktop PC. Now most people have laptops for various reasons. Netbooks,sometimes called notebooks, are smaller versions of laptops,though not as powerful as a full sized laptop. Although I am running my netbooks as a full sized computer.

I went into PC Worlds a large computer store in England and they had mostly Windows 8 laptops. These were full sized laptops but what was different about them was that as well as mouse and keyboard,they were touchscreen. One of the shopkeepers I asked told me you need to have a special key code or I think he said Windows Product key to disable secure boot on Windows 8 PCs. Though that's not what I read on the web. As from the You Tube videos I saw it seems you can just turn it off in the Bios.

But to be honest I would not like a Windows 8 laptop because of the touchscreen. Which I prefer not to use as I am used to a traditional laptop or computer with a mouse. And I would not like secure boot either. At least on a big Windows 7 laptop,true it may have 64 bit Windows 7. But you would not have to worry about secure boot and you can install what OS you want. And install 32 bit Windows 7 or 8 or even Windows XP if you have the install disk. So it's better to install Windows 8 on a normal computer or laptop. Not buy a Windows 8 laptop. To be truthful I don't think I could handle one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Netbooks,sometimes called notebooks
. Wrong a notebook is a Laptop but possibly thinner where as a Netbook is a low powered machine for surfing.

One of the shopkeepers I asked told me you need to have a special key code or I think he said Windows Product key to disable secure boot on Windows 8 PCs.
Wrong again it's a bios setting.

This is getting silly and pointless, some of the stuff you say has a kernel of truth to it. But mostly you're just Wrong or mistaken.

That you like 32bit is excellent, but with new laptops etc a 64 bit machine with 64 bit windows would be better, faster and more secure. Thats my last 2p.

If this goes on for much longer I'm tempted to close the thread.

Well I only know that when I saw those Windows 8 Laptops in the shop PC World that were so different to the Windows 7 laptops. I did not like them. I am not talking about the OS, I mean the laptops,with the touch screen,secure boot and other alien features.

I have Windows 8 Pro running on a netbook that used to have Windows 7 starter,and it does not have any of those annoying features. I think you have also got your Windows 8 installed on a laptop that used to have Windows 7 or Windows Vista. As there is no reason to throw away a good laptop that still works.

Just upgrade the OS that's all and with the horrible features of the touch screen laptops,it's a case of having to. Or you will be stuck with a laptop with secure boot and one that you can't figure out how to use.

You can disable secure boot in your bios. I don't even use it. It does not need no key to disable. Don't know where you are getting your info but it sure is wrong.

You can disable secure boot in your bios. I don't even use it. It does not need no key to disable. Don't know where you are getting your info but it sure is wrong.
Well I was talking to a shop assistant in a department store and he told me that. But it's good to know that he is wrong. A lot of shop assistants don't know anything about computers it seems.

Regarding screen resolution I read on the web there is either a registry edit or drivers that you can download. To make the screen resolution on netbooks higher so you can run Metro aps. I have never tried it myself,so I don't know if it works or not. I am running my Windows 7 with ordinary software I use on Windows XP and Windows 7. With no Metro apps, as I don't see the need for them.

That you like 32bit is excellent, but with new laptops etc a 64 bit machine with 64 bit windows would be better, faster and more secure. Thats my last 2p.

Well I would agree that 64bit OS do run better and faster then 32bit ones, but more secure?
Thats debatable, as that goes down to the user in the end when Windows is concerned.
As for sales reps not knowing what they are talking about, yup a lot of those people in the Wal marts, best buys and stuff are total nincompoops.
Pardon my french

'AI',

There's an echo in here... how often I have written previously echoing what you have said. Interesting ironic, that people whom I have shown them Win8 & guided them in its use, love it, are impressed by it and they voice none & have none of the gripes we hear from some (other) folks about the UI or a lack of anything, like Features or performance.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 24343
I am not in a position to argue Drew, but how about setting up a survey like the one on the Windows 7 forum, where people are asked questions about the OS. I just hate it when a reputable company like Microsoft brings out an OS that seems just to favour one sort of computer - particularly as I just spent over £2000 renewing all mine. All with brand new Win 7 OS and not a touch screen in sight. Am I expected to bin all my programs and kit and get touch screens to replace them? From what I read about Win 8 it is a clunky operating system that is neither touch screen or normal screen. They have done the same to the OS as they did to Microsoft Office, which is why I run Office 2003. If it works - why fix it?

Howard,

There is a lot or has been a lot of negative hype, bashing and very misleading rhetoric propagated regarding Windows 8. One of the accomplished design goals behind building it was to have an OS that could be applied to various devices. That said, Windows 8 is terrific even on non-Touch machines AND not only on mobile devices! It is just fine on regular desktop or laptop machines. To say "it is a clunky operating system" is absolute rubbish! It is fast, smooth, snappy &, frankly a joy to use... navigating it is a real pleasure. There is less digging & fewer clicks involved w/ it. Its security is robust, it's graphics are super and it is rock solid when it comes to stability. Windows 8 does not favour only 1 type of device, not @ all!

Cheers,
Drew canadianwave.gif
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg .1

Back
Top Bottom