Windows 7 Can't click anywhere on page until I alt tab and reselect the program

scottdca

I am having problems with Windows 7 Home Premium where it seems that the entire screen looks the same but I can't click on anything. It isn't frozen up it is acting as if it is not the active program even though it is. It will happen in any program. Once this happens I also can't click the start orb. If I hold alt and press tab and reselect the program then I can typically type into it for a moment.

The same thing happens when I try to right click on the desktop. Nothing will come up. If I alt tab and reselect the desktop then I can click on it again.

Any ideas on what this could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott

This can happen if keys Alt or Win get sticky, programmatically or physically.

I can't click on anything. It isn't frozen up it is acting as if it is not the active program even though it is.

When this happens, can you interact with the "frozen" window after you hit Ctr-Alt-Del > Task Manager > Esc ?

Thank you for the reply. I tried that and it seemed to help but when I walked away from my computer and came back. The same thing happened again. Does anybody have any other ideas? I tried system restore but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks again,
Scott

You don't by chance have a "Virtual" environment running. Some are prone to take over without consent, which would cause your problem.

You don't by chance have a "Virtual" environment running. Some are prone to take over without consent, which would cause your problem.

I don't I have in the past but I have them uninstalled and they have been for months. This problem didn't start until a few days ago.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Back