Windows 7 Can't find all CPU Cores working

Mitch47

I bought a used Dell E6500 with an Intel dual core processor (supposedly) but Win 7 Task Manager only finds one core. I've got other computers running dual core and quad core processors, and Performance > CPU history > One Graph per CPU will read as many processors as the processor title says it has. The View menu > CPU history on this new one doesn't give me a choice- only one graph all CPUs.
The System description in Win 7 says this is a duo core P8600 processor. I ran Dell Diagnostics on the machine and it says its all hunky dorey, but only reports on Core 0. The CPU performance chart runs right to 100% frequently. But the 6500 machine seems kinda sluggish and its only got an OS on it for 2 days now. The performance rating gives this one a 4.3 with 4.6 calculations per second and 5.5 memory operations per second.

Is it possible that one of the cores on the "Intel Core 2 duo CPU P8600" isn't able to run? Is the calculation algorithm accurate in testing CPU speed for BOTH cores? Is there any setting that disables one core? I can't find anything in BIOS that I would suspect that would do that. Or, shall I just check into the funny farm? Yes, I am untrusting--its a character trait.
Any help is appreciated.

What does it say in your device manager under processors? I know I have a 4 core CPU, under device manager it lists all 4 cores as AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Processor.

Referring to bassfisher, I can see all my eight cores of AMD FX 8120 processor in Device Manager.

It's possible to lock cores in BIOS, but then you should see the options there. And, at least with AMD, there are software that can be used to lock / unlock cores from within Windows. Don't know Intel, but probably they have that kind too, although it seems unlikely that you have this kind of software installed, since the OS has only been running a few days. That could depend on what sort of installation you made. If you merely updated, there could be residues.

You could solve the issue with a BIOS update, perhaps? CPU running at 100% isn't that worrying, since electrical equipment are built to do that - if it runs at full power all the time, it's probably a malfunction or some nasty program taking all power, even some respected Antivirus programs do this, or it could be an infection.

Like you write, it's quite possible that one of the cores can't run = is broken. It happens, nothing lasts forever.

Hope you get it running. :)

What does it say in your device manager under processors? I know I have a 4 core CPU, under device manager it lists all 4 cores as AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Processor.
Yep-- I checked and the device manager only reports one core, although it does label it as P8600 2 Duo CPU. I get the feeling I've got a busted one. Gonna go buy another CPU and plug that one in. Hope I don't have to reload software because of the anti-theft thing in Windows- takes a lot of time.

Thanks for the reply

Referring to bassfisher, I can see all my eight cores of AMD FX 8120 processor in Device Manager.

It's possible to lock cores in BIOS, but then you should see the options there. And, at least with AMD, there are software that can be used to lock / unlock cores from within Windows. Don't know Intel, but probably they have that kind too, although it seems unlikely that you have this kind of software installed, since the OS has only been running a few days. That could depend on what sort of installation you made. If you merely updated, there could be residues.

You could solve the issue with a BIOS update, perhaps? CPU running at 100% isn't that worrying, since electrical equipment are built to do that - if it runs at full power all the time, it's probably a malfunction or some nasty program taking all power, even some respected Antivirus programs do this, or it could be an infection.

Like you write, it's quite possible that one of the cores can't run = is broken. It happens, nothing lasts forever.

Hope you get it running. :)
The Win 7 install was clean- nothing in residue, and it was a new hard drive. I ran the checks without having loaded antivirus SW yet- and had only gone online to get Dell drivers and Win 7 updates before I got the feeling this was a dog.

The problem isn't necessarily my concern for reliability on the CPU, but whether my software will perform well enough to use efficiently. I use voice dictation SW and it takes up some significant CPU resources. Use some CAD programs too, and that runs slower than my grandson's electric jeep. I need the core, I'm afraid.
think its new CPU time- oh, well, I'll get the 8800 to go a little faster--:)

Pauli mentioned there may be an option to enable or disable cores in the Bios. I don't see anywhere that you checked that.

Also, in MSconfig.exe, on the boot tab-Advanced Options, there is an option to list the cores. Is that selected and a number of cores listed? There have been threads about disabling a core for better performance in some situations.

Pauli it could be windows, it's possible the os was installed with a cpu with 1 core and then upgraded. I've seen a few times the hal not changing as it should after cpu upgrades.

Good point, nmsuk. One thing we haven't mentioned is "the good old" CMOS. A new battery there might solve the problem? If the computer, bought used, has been resting a while...? You have any thoughts about this? Or did the CPU upgrades require a new installation of Windows?

Silly me. :cool:

have you tried doing a system restore or a complete system recovery. I would try it before a complete system recovery which would take the os back to when it was 1st installed and new just like a raw install. you may have a corrupt os. good luck. poorguy

Back