Can't get past choosing custom installation!

When I tried to choose custom installation so I can put windows 7 on my other partition I get this error

"Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation. Error code: 0xE0000100"

Should I just reburn the image at a slower speed or is there something else that could be wrong?

EVERYTHING IS WORKING NOW :)

Last edited:

reghakr

Essential Member
Yes,

I had the same issue.

Burn at 1x or 2x and use a good quality DVD

Also, how big is the partition you are trying to install to?

The partition is 40.2 GB

reghakr

Essential Member
That is OK as long as you don't plan on installing a massive amount of 3rd party apps.

Try using imgBurn for creating the ISO

Ok, I was planning on using imgburn because it can burn it even slower than nero. I used the same partition for the beta version which is why this error confused me. Thanks for the tips, I'll burn it again and see how that goes

Burnt it at 1x and the same error message came up at the same spot

Ok, now it's definitely not the CD, I tried running it off of a USB and got the same deal

reghakr

Essential Member
Are you dual-booting?

how is your partitioning scheme set up?

Go to Start > Run, type diskmgmt and let me know the drive letters and partitions..

More important, which partition is marked as Boot?

Yeah I'm dual-booting. The drive letters are C: for vista and F: for the other partition. D: is the recovery and E: is the cd/dvd drive. As for which one is marked as boot the vista partition is, C:

Last edited:

reghakr

Essential Member
Are you running at least Vista service pack 1?

Is the F: partition listed as unallocated or is it freshly formatted?

If it is formatted, I'd run chkdisk first. Right-click on the drive letter, choose properties, click the Tools tab and hit the Check Now button.

There's a command-line option that takes a long time, but it's a much more thorough check.

I'll have to look up the syntax on that.

Since you're dual-booting, it might be a good idea to use EasyBCD 1.7.2 if you have any problems booting

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I have vista home premium service pack 1. The F: partition has been formatted, it's not unallocated. I just ran chkdisk and I don't think any problems were found. I was thinking that I should just combine the 2 partitions and then repartition again because that worked when I installed the beta

Last edited:
Don't know if this matters, but it wasn't listed as a primary partition. The main vista partition and recovery were primary partitions along with some random 2.5 GB one, but the windows 7 and some other partition used for a mediadirct button were not primary

Deleating the windows 7 partition and then reformatting it worked! Everything installed perfectly and I'm using it right now. Thank you Reghakr for all of you help and tips :)

reghakr

Essential Member
Your most welcome.

Have fun:)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.