Windows 7 can't join domain

sbrownwin7

I have a 2008 domain running at my house, with a wireless router that is serving as the DHCP server. My windows 7 pc can connect to the router and get on the internet, but I can't join the domain. In fact, it can't even see the DC. I had a similar problem with my vista PC's, but I could fix it by manually entering the ip for the DC as the DNS server address (instead of letting the DHCP server in the router point them to the router DNS server). What I have found out, is that anytime I make static entry for the ip or dns server in the IPv4 setting, the PC won't connect to the internet or the domain. Even if I just assign the router ip as the DNS server address, it won't connect to the internet. This is the same DNS address that getts assigned by the DHCP server in the router if I leave it dynamic. Any ideas why the manual congifuration causes the connection to fail?

The only way I could make this work was......

2 NICs in the server
setup Routing and Remote Access on the server
From wall to modem to server
from server to router to other PC's
You have to connect through the router, to the server, to get to the internet

When you enter the DNS info,, it is routing to the server fine,,, but you are then stuck, there is no way out to the internet.
This was in 2003,,, I have read that 2008 is not supposed to require 2 NIC's to do this,,, but I have not set this up yet.

Maybe it still has something to do with Routing and Remote Access?
If your routing is not properly setup in the Server,,, this is the problem you are having.

Link Removed - Invalid URL Or shed some light on things, maybe....

I am still researching,,, I need to get my server going. I just need a PC to do it with.

Also,, this probably needs to be moved to the Server 2008 Forum

Last edited:
Point the client computers to the DC and try both the FQDN (example: network.local) or just NETWORK

In the DNS make sure the defaults for the actual server are set up properly. The default IPs if you are using 2 NICs... what the DNS server is listening on.. it is in fact 90% chance a problem with the DNS server. Check the event logs as well.

Do you still need 2 NIC's for Server 2008 to route traffic from the internal network to the external?
I thought I read that a single nic and a third party router would work. But the concept eludes me.

Back
Top Bottom