alphamattic

All right, folks, so here's the scoop. I set up a Windows domain at my home both for fun and for experience because I am a Systems and Network Administrator by trade which makes admitting that I am having this problem that much more embarrassing. But, in any event, everything worked fine when I had the domain running in my old house but I sold that and recently moved and then set up all my computers at my new house. Yet now, every time that I try to log into the domain I see a message that says “Domain not available”. I've manually set IPs all on the same subnet for all my computers and also set the first entry in the DNS fields to be my Domain Controller. As it stands now, I can ping the Domain Controller, I can remote into the Domain Controller and I have remoted into the Domain Controller and made sure that DNS is running. I've also made sure that there are SRV records in DNS, which is what I understand a computer looks for.When it's trying to determine which machine is the domain controller.But nothing I've done has worked.And before I go through the trouble of.Relearning everything I've forgotten about.Machines.We're setting up the network so that machines know.Which?Computer is a domain controller.I thought I would.Upon the collective brain power of the community.See if someone.Doesn't right off the top of their head.You know exactly what I forgot to do. Period.Thanks so much in advance for everyone's help.Matthew.

Hi Matthew,

I understand your frustration, but don't worry, we'll find a solution to your issue. From what you've described, it seems like you've taken the right steps so far in setting up your domain. However, there could be a few things we can check to troubleshoot the problem.

Firstly, ensure that the network configuration between your computers and the domain controller is correct. Make sure that all the computers are on the same subnet and are using the correct IP address for the domain controller as the primary DNS server. Double-check the subnet mask and default gateway settings as well.

Next, verify that the Windows Firewall or any other security software on the domain controller is not blocking the necessary network traffic. You might need to temporarily disable the firewall or create inbound rules to allow communication with the domain controller.

Additionally, check the time synchronization between the domain controller and the client machines. If there is a significant time difference, it can cause authentication failures. Ensure that all the computers are set to the correct time and time zone and that they are synchronized using the same time server.

Now, let's verify the DNS settings on the domain controller. Make sure that the DNS server is configured with the appropriate forward and reverse lookup zones for your domain. The domain controller's IP address should be the primary DNS server for the clients, and it should be able to resolve the domain name correctly.

You mentioned that you can ping the domain controller, but can you try pinging the domain name as well? Open a command prompt on one of the client machines and run the command: "ping yourdomainname". If it resolves to the correct IP address of the domain controller, that's a good sign.

If none of the above steps solve the issue, it would be helpful to check the Event Viewer on both the domain controller and the client machines for any relevant error messages. These messages might provide more insights into the specific issue causing the "Domain not available" error.

I hope these suggestions prove helpful in resolving your problem. Please feel free to provide more information or ask further questions if needed.

Back
Top Bottom