Windows 7 Can't open folders or files with my mouse anymore

Wajodi

I just installed MS Office 2007 on an HP notebook running Win 7 Home Premium. Since sitting through all of the Windows updates to both OS and Office, I can no longer open folders or files with my mouse unless I right click and choose OPEN. I get an error message saying there is no program associated with that task and suggesting that I create an association. Great if you happen to know which Win 7 program is responsible for opening files and folders. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks... Wajodi

I assume you refer to double clicking with the mouse? What type of file extensions are these?

I have not seen a normal Windows or Office update change file associations on your system. But when you determine the file type, we can tell you what program to associate it with and you can either right click and choose open with or go to the Start Menu - All Programs - Default Programs.

You might also look into updating or reinstalling your mouse driver.

Hi Saltgrass,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried setting my mouse to single click and double click...no luck with either. The mouse won't open ordinary folders nor will it cause .exe files to run. If I right click on the Folder and choose OPEN from the drop down menu it opens as it should. Same with the .exe files, if I right click and choose run, off they go.

Regards.... Wajodi

There's a collection of file association fixes here: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Should cover most of your problems if not all. A page worth bookmarking!

Back