Windows 7 Can't remove devices from "Devices and Printers" in control panel

foogama

Extraordinary Member
I have a few different unwanted devices showing up in the devices section of my "Devices and Printers" window within control panel (see attached). I can't remove them. Printers have the option of "remove device," if you right click, but the devices do not have that option. How do I remove them?

They're not connected to my system in anyway, and they don't show up in device manager either. Any ideas?
Cpanel 2.jpgCpanel.JPG

Have you looked in the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) to see if they are listed and uninstall from there? You might also use the View Option to show hidden devices and see if there is a listing there.

I refreshed my device manager, and they DID show up this time for some reason. When I uninstall the ones I suspect are showing up in cpanel, everything disappears except the two identical keyboards.

Showing hidden devices doesn't reveal anything keyboard/ mouse related.

Also, new development: as soon as I restart my machine, all devices reappear in the "Devices and Printers" window, as well as Device Manager. Very puzzling.

When I uninstall a Device, I always check the box that asks if you want to uninstall all drivers with it. Maybe that would keep it from coming back, but do the mice have special drivers or software loaded on the system? Something might be reloading the drivers....

I haven't bumped into a situation such as yours. If I just remove a mouse, it normally goes away.

Those Unifying Wireless Mouse/Keyboard receivers normally have software that can adjust the configuration. Perhaps open that panel for Logitec and see if the Unifying option would allow you to unlink any mice that might be associated with it and the keyboard. I don't have such a system on this computer, but I can check it on another one.

If you have a wired mouse keyboard, you might even unplug the Wireless receiver and see what happens. It may even need to be uninstalled to correct possible record keeping problems.

Perhaps open that panel for Logitec and see if the Unifying option would allow you to unlink any mice that might be associated with it and the keyboard.

That was it!! THANK you! The Unifying software had stored those devices in there as paired devices (even though they are never used anymore). I feel silly for not checking that first. Thank you, Saltgrass!

You are certainly welcome...glad you got it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom