Windows 8 Can't rename/move new and existing folders

Grace Nakanishi

Every time I try to rename or move a folder (both existing and new) I get an error message saying
"Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"

If I click Try again it says "The file or folder does not exist"

I've uninstalled recent installations (only a 7-zip extracting software) and searched for solutions online but nothing has helped. This has never happened before and restarting doesn't make a difference. Help!

Hi Grace, lets see if we can figger it out;
  • where are these files located i.e, on the desktop, recycle bin or inside a Libraries store perhaps?
  • have you only got the one Microsoft account on this computer?
  • why are you trying to shuffle the files... is there a virus or you just want to wipe out all the extra software?

Hi Grace, lets see if we can figger it out;
  • where are these files located i.e, on the desktop, recycle bin or inside a Libraries store perhaps?
  • have you only got the one Microsoft account on this computer?
  • why are you trying to shuffle the files... is there a virus or you just want to wipe out all the extra software?

Hi! This is happening to folders everywhere: on my desktop, recycle bin, documents, etc. I can't even move folders out of the recycle bin without getting the error message. This is on my school laptop, so I'm not the administrator. And there's no significant reason why i'm shuffling these folders - just trying to make some new folders and name them so that i can sort some photos into them.

Also, this issue seems to be only affecting folders - I'm able to move and rename individual files without problem. Thanks!

Either something in registry got screwed up from an update or malware I would imagine. You may need to do a re-install of WIndows the "install and keep data and programs" should fix the issue.

Since you don't own the Admin rights to that computer, you probably won't be able to reinstall it, especially on a University network.:down: You'll have to take it to your University IT department and request that they do it. Attempting an in-place upgrade as neemo suggests won't work unless you have the Admin password in order for the Windows system files to rewrite over existing files already on the hard drive.:noway: And, if your account login to your University is what we call a domain login or a network login; you must have the proper rights to login into the Uni network. Some of your folders may be mapped drives which are shared folders that live on the Uni servers on their network. If your network account permissions are messed up on your Standard User account, you cannot fix that; the IT guys have to do it for you. If you are using a web portal or Intranet or even VPN, all that software needs to get repaired and or reinstalled which you cannot do yourself.:waah: It would really be in your best interest to have them help you. In a lot of the bigger Universities as in large corporate businesses, they can often just do a push download via an Internet connection right to your computer and essential reload your Roaming Profile. This profile contains all your login settings, desktop settings, personal permissions to folders both local and on the network and that can be done in a couple of hours if you are not on their campus, they can do it over the phone, remote into your computer and get you all fixed up and running again!:up: Worst case you have to take the computer into the IT department and if you are not local, that would mean shipping it there or driving flying to their physical location.

Good luck!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back