Windows 7 Cant see my IDE hard drive after install?

bbrian017

Anyone know why when I go to my computer I can't see my IDE 40 gig hard drive?

My SATA Drive (which I installed on) works fine but I can't see the IDE 40 gig :)

Please help I have backed up files and folders on that 40 gig and need to access it!

Thanks

Brian

Windows 7 doesn't recognize secondary hard drive

Windows 7 doesn't recognize my smaller hard drive all the time. Sometimes it will show up in My Computer and other times it doesn't. This drive is only used for mp3 and document storage and my Windows Media Player accesses my music from this drive. If I reboot my computer several times, I can usually get this drive (G drive) to show up, however today I have rebooted over and over and still it won't come up. I have checked Device Manager and it is not there.

Also, there is no active programs running from the G drive so a conflict between actions shouldn't be a problem.

Please help

Windows 7 doesn't recognize my smaller hard drive all the time. Sometimes it will show up in My Computer and other times it doesn't. This drive is only used for mp3 and document storage and my Windows Media Player accesses my music from this drive. If I reboot my computer several times, I can usually get this drive (G drive) to show up, however today I have rebooted over and over and still it won't come up. I have checked Device Manager and it is not there.

Also, there is no active programs running from the G drive so a conflict between actions shouldn't be a problem.

Please help
I would make sure that your BIOS is seeing the IDE before you boot to WIN7 since it is connected to your motherboard separately from your SATA. I have had those sorts of issues and replacing the IDE cable fixed them once and for all. You might try reseating your four-pin power connector in your IDE HD too. I keep a can of contact cleaner around when I suspect a drive not being detected.

Thanks for the info busydog. The G drive that isn't showing in Windows 7 is showing in the BIOs. Also, if I log off and restart the computer correctly from Windows or turn it off manually from the front of the tower, the G drive doesn't show up when I log back on; but if I unplug the power from the back of the computer while windows is running, then turn the computer on, the G drive shows up???? I'll check the pins and contact cable

Thank you
Carmen

Back