Windows 7 Cant write properties to certain music files.

Floods7

I was trying to write properties to some music files. I have done it before to the same file on vista, but forgot to save so im redoing it. When I attempt to save what I have just entered I get this:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file. if you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x8007000D: the data is invalid.

Any help would be great.

BTW I can write info to most file but some give me this error. They were all off the same backup hard drive, transfered at the same time and I have writen properties to these files before.

Hello and Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.

Are you using the official RC directly from MS and have you activated Windows?

There is a patch for file permissions from Windows update.

Try opening Windows Update an see if this is available.

If it isn't available, right-click on the folder containing these files, choose properties, click the Security tab, click Edit, select your username and check the box for Full Control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, click the view installed updates and see if you have these updates (KB969497)
(KB970858)
(KB970789)

Its not something silly like the read only box is ticked on some of them? Select them all and make sure the box isnt checked.

Also I know WMP puts some sort of protection on .wma files it writes if that option is enabled, you need to download some sort of licence to even play them. But Im not sure if that has anything to do with your problem at all.

Yes, I just looked it up and that's the one you need.

Go to Control panel > Windows Update and see if that update is available.

Are you using the 64-bit edition?

what is the 3 letter extension of the files you are trying to modify?

OK, the fix only applies to the 32-bit version.

Are you using Windows Explorer to change the properties or are you using a 3rd party tag editor?

I used MusicBrainz and another tagger, still got nothing. Then I used the details in windown explorer and that is when I got the error. I am able to tag the music through wmp but the new info does not appear in a explorer window.

Copy and paste the info inside the quote into Notepad, choose Save As, then select All Files from the drop-down menu box and type in takeownership.reg. Save it to your desktop and double-click on it to merge it intro the registry. this will place Take Ownership of files and right-click context menu for complete directories.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F

You'll need to restart your computer.

I dont know if my last post threw anyone off. I was able to add that to the registry. However the problems still persists.

Windows 7 doesnt support ID3 v2.4 (and hence neither does WMP)

Try using ID3-TagIt, or similar to convert the tags to v2.3 (or wait for an update...)

Much thanks to Dev Shed Forums and Requanix for all their help.

Back