Windows 7 Change Programme Icon

Is it possible to change the icon for an application which doesn't have a desktop, taskbar etc shortcut? E.g. one which is launched from a hotkey.

From your "Start" menu, expand the program folder you want the icon to be changed, right click on the file that would normally start the program and select "Properties", from there select "Change Icon"
After you've changed the icon and still using a "Hot Key" to start the program, you're not going to see the new icon unless you "Pin to Taskbar" or "Pin to Start Menu"

Hope this helped

From your "Start" menu, expand the program folder you want the icon to be changed, right click on the file that would normally start the program and select "Properties", from there select "Change Icon"
After you've changed the icon and still using a "Hot Key" to start the program, you're not going to see the new icon unless you "Pin to Taskbar" or "Pin to Start Menu"

Hope this helped

Doesn't work.

There is no option in any of the six tabs to change the icon. I'd tried this before which is the reason for my query.

Possibly the icon is embedded in the .exe file and can't be changed. You can only change the icon if you pin the app to the taskbar which I don't particularly want to do. The taskbar icon is probably the icon associated with the shortcut rather than the programme icon itself.

Just so we're on the same page, you're not going to Start/My Computer/C:/Program Files are you?
If you're right clicking on the executable file and selecting "Properties" you will get this window, which as you stated does not have the "Change Icon" option
x6l7aa.jpg

My initial directions may have been a bit vague.

Go to Start/All Programs, then left click to expand the folder of the program you wish to change the icon;
f2itg4.jpg

Right click on the program icon and select "Properties"
j65weo.jpg

Select "Change Icon"
296otg0.jpg

That should do it for you.
Sorry about the mix up

Back
Top Bottom