Windows 7 Classic vs. New Start Menu

Classic or New(Aero) Start Menu?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I don't get why people don't realize that you can type what you want to open.

For example in the pic from the post above the process would be Click Start Orb>Hover Over Programs>Hover Over Home Office>Click word.

With the new menu its as simple as Winkey>type "word">hit enter

I guarantee I can do the new menu method faster than anybody can go through the menus in the classic menu.

This only works with Microsoft products, no 3rd party software.

Have you ever used classic menus? Do you use your PC for work?
Classic menu in seven....? not yet due to since I bought my notebook has been set up in the new menu one. Honestly i don't know how to change into the classic menu after exploring the seven recently, so let the new one menu for a while.
I use my PC/notebook mostly for work especially spreadsheet, word editing and some technical drawing.

I was using the "Vista Start Menu" previously and I liked it a lot. But then it started causing a problem. Sometimes it would start running a lot of threads and using my whole processor. I would have to shut off "VSM" to get my processor back.

But then I found "Classic Shell Menu".

Classic Shell Brings the Old Start Menu Back to Windows 7

It's just like the "Classic Start Menu" from previous versions only there are a few added features that make it even nicer. :D

Classic menu in seven....? not yet due to since I bought my notebook has been set up in the new menu one. Honestly i don't know how to change into the classic menu after exploring the seven recently, so let the new one menu for a while.
I use my PC/notebook mostly for work especially spreadsheet, word editing and some technical drawing.
Well then let me recommend you download and install CLASSIC SHELL. It is free and then compare. :razz:

The new start menu is SOOO much better than the old one. Anyone who likes the old one better is crazy! I can understand you liking it better if you have a slow computer because computers supposedly run faster with classic style. Otherwise, the new one is better.

The new start menu is SOOO much better than the old one. Anyone who likes the old one better is crazy! I can understand you liking it better if you have a slow computer because computers supposedly run faster with classic style. Otherwise, the new one is better.
IT managers, PC technicians, Office workers, Product designers (I am one of them), and generally people who use their PCs for work; Are NOT CRAZY! Unless you can show us a valid comparison then you are just expressing your personal opinion.
Classic menus is more user friendly and allows the user to customise his PC to suit his needs. The new GUI tries to use artificial intelligence to guess what you want to do and fails miserably in this area.
Perhaps to one who only plays games and uses twitter, facebook, and watches utube videos; Then the new menus are fine. Anything beyond that and one is faced with a plethora of problems of constantly searching for files.
You may call us crazy, but so was Einstein called crazy too!
Windows 7 is an excellent OS and coupled with classic Shell it is even better.
I for one can actually do some work now that I have installed classic shell and classic menus for Office 2007.
The new menus and Ribbon are nothing more than square wheels; Excellent for parking without a hand brake but tedious to drive with!

IT managers, PC technicians, Office workers, Product designers (I am one of them), and generally people who use their PCs for work; Are NOT CRAZY! Unless you can show us a valid comparison then you are just expressing your personal opinion.
Classic menus is more user friendly and allows the user to customise his PC to suit his needs. The new GUI tries to use artificial intelligence to guess what you want to do and fails miserably in this area.
Perhaps to one who only plays games and uses twitter, facebook, and watches utube videos; Then the new menus are fine. Anything beyond that and one is faced with a plethora of problems of constantly searching for files.
You may call us crazy, but so was Einstein called crazy too!
Windows 7 is an excellent OS and coupled with classic Shell it is even better.
That's right. :)

I am setting up an HP notebook for my daughter and hate that I can't use the Classic menu. If I like Coke, I don't want Pepsi. For myself, my solution was a MacBook Pro. Apple changes "behind the scenes" operation. They do not move things around just so it looks different. Wow! It looks different, so it must be better! Microsoft makes changes based on their opinion. Apple listens to customers.

the start menu of windows 7 and vista looks fine to me, do not fill the desktop when have a lot of software installed with more contextuals menues and submenues. althought that was complicated of get used to the new place where is the show desktop button but is ok.

The Start Menu, w/ what the Taskbar avails, when involving Quick Launch, Links & IE9 (Favorites Bar), doesn't really get used or needed much. Well, except for typing things into Search, of course.

Drew

I used to like classic start menu and hate the new Vista/7 start menu because need to find the program by scrolling...! But now I'm used to windows 7 start menu because of search feature, faster... Now I like the MetroUI on windows 8 waiting for its release :D

I have to say that I think I like the new one ... but only because I can pin what I need to the main view ... going into All Programs is must worse than the old way, which was better in this regard.

I do prefer the Classic start menu. I don't really like the scrolling action of the New start menu. Regularly used programs I pin to the taskbar; I didn't like that at first but have since been converted :) I don't use desktop icons at all as I prefer an uncluttered desktop. For my start menu I use a piece of software called "Start Menu 7" which is more akin to the Classic start menu.

Rachel,

I don't use desktop icons for the same reason. Nor do I care to scroll across Start of things. I have not had to add software in this regard. Not saying there is anything wrong w/ what you have but, just to be aware of options. I end up hardly ever visiting Start, as it can be 99.99999% of the time unnecessary.

1. Have an Applications folder on the Taskbar.
2. Have Desktop toolbar enabled.
3. Have Quick Launch.
4. Use Rt Clk Menu @ Bottom-left Corner.

W/ the above 1 doesn't need Start nor to add any software.

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom