Windows 7 Classic vs. New Start Menu

Classic or New(Aero) Start Menu?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Thanks, I really like this program. How do you fancy sorting out my folder background problem? You cant change the folder background image in win7 like you can with some apps that work only for Vista. You seem bright and I'm not!

Well, I'm sorry.

Only trying to help.

Look over the threads at the bottom of this page.

No need to apologize, any help appreciated. What I gather from the discussions here is that Windows 7 only supports one type of start menu, called the New Start Menu. Sort of like "The New World Order". All I can see however is the old one. Maybe I'm missing something here ?

The XP style menu is what we're calling the "new menu", as it's new compared to the classic menu.

I see. "New" as in "Cairo is newer than Ur" or something along those lines. This whole discussion gave me the impression that there was something really new as in "it isn't there in previous versions of Windows". In that case I'm surprised by the number of people who've never seen it before as it's been the default menu since the beginning of this century.

In the meantime, just a simple question : is french localization included ?

Yes, full localization should be working, thanks to unawave who helped me get this sorted :).

I will be posting a version with an installer, so everything should work out of the box soon.

How do you fancy sorting out my folder background problem? You cant change the folder background image in win7 like you can with some apps that work only for Vista. You seem bright and I'm not!

As much as I'd like to help, I'd have no idea where to begin... the start menu that I've written really isn't complex, it's just a few labels and pictures :). Sorry!

Thomas

Could you post a screenshot of your start menu?

Certainly:
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

I see. "New" as in "Cairo is newer than Ur" or something along those lines. This whole discussion gave me the impression that there was something really new as in "it isn't there in previous versions of Windows". In that case I'm surprised by the number of people who've never seen it before as it's been the default menu since the beginning of this century.

Sorry, since the beginning of this millenium.

As you can see, it takes that ridiculous old classic menu to make it the way I like it. Thank God that one of the many things that can't be done with the new old menu in Windows 7 so I guess Vista will be the last Microsoft OS I'll still be using. It's about time I switched to something professional anyway.

Yea, that's it alright.

What I do is create my own folders, such as Graphics, CD-DVD Rippers, Video Converters, Code packs, Utilities, Internet Tools, Web Tools and place all the shortcuts related to them in those folders. I also delete all shortcuts relating to help files, readme's or URL links.

It eliminates the cluttered look.

You can resurrect the old Quick launch bar if you prefer, and for replacements shells, just Google Windows 7 shell replacements.

Yea, that's it alright.

What I do is create my own folders, such as Graphics, CD-DVD Rippers, Video Converters, Code packs, Utilities, Internet Tools, Web Tools and place all the shortcuts related to them in those folders. I also delete all shortcuts relating to help files, readme's or URL links.

It eliminates the cluttered look.

You can resurrect the old Quick launch bar if you prefer, and for replacements shells, just Google Windows 7 shell replacements.

Shortcuts are fine but must be created and organized. My menu is basically nothing other than Explorer-in-the-Start-Menu and can be used to open anything, anywhere on the system without the need to create any shortcuts, touch the keyboard or use more than 2 mouse clicks. The first on the start menu button, the second on the object itself. And it makes use of my whole 21 inch screen. For some weird reason I think thats superior compared to using lots of clicks, creating shortcuts and having to use a slider bar in a tiny box which is all the XP/Vista/Win7 menu has to offer.

Shortcuts are fine but must be created and organized

No, what I do is allow the program group to be created then rename the folder and drag all the shortcuts I want from the other program installs. That way it's a one click solution to find anything. Takes no time at all once you get the basic folders setup.

I also created a Directory called Desktop, moved all my frequently used programs into it and placed it just below the Start Button and this expanded for one-click access also.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like the New Start menu in Windows 7. This is not possible at all.

I suggest you take a look at posts #16, 52, 55, 58, and 117 to see the various methods I've tried to get it back.
When the RTM is released you cabn bet I'll be trying it again;)

Is it going to prevent me from buying Windows 7...........Hell NO:)

No need to apologize, any help appreciated. What I gather from the discussions here is that Windows 7 only supports one type of start menu, called the New Start Menu. Sort of like "The New World Order". All I can see however is the old one. Maybe I'm missing something here ?

Hoffak, "back in the day" Windows had a "Start Menu" that was logical and efficient. That went away with the Fisher-Price GUI of Windows XP and beyond. However, the old (aka classic) efficient, intuitive interface and start menu was still available until Windows 7 beta came along. The Fisher-Price look is the new and the black and gray business like start menu that was available (but not default) is the old. That is, at this point, not available in Windows 7. Does this clear up your confusion?

Up until Wondows 7 beta came along, those of us who just want to do work with our computer have been able to simply open Control Panel and select "Classic" and POOF the kindergarten crayon start menu is gone! We have been using the classic start menu that Windows 7 dropped right along until now, therefore this kindergarten crap feels like a new thing to us.

Last edited:
Hoffak, "back in the day" Windows had a "Start Menu" that was logical and efficient. That went away with the Fisher-Price GUI of Windows XP and beyond. However, the old (aka classic) efficient, intuitive interface and start menu was still available until Windows 7 beta came along. The Fisher-Price look is the new and the black and gray business like start menu that was available (but not default) is the old. That is, at this point, not available in Windows 7. Does this clear up your confusion?

Up until Wondows 7 beta came along, those of us who just want to do work with our computer have been able to simply open Control Panel and select "Classic" and POOF the kindergarten crayon start menu is gone! We have been using the classic start menu that Windows 7 dropped right along until now, therefore this kindergarten crap feels like a new thing to us.

I think I understand now. The "New" start menu is just the old XP start menu thats new to everybody now because they disliked it back in 2001 and used the classic one instead. Until Microsoft started forcing them to use the XP start menu in Windows 7 by disabling the one everybody knew and liked. It still doesn't make sense to me. Sorry.

I think I understand now. The "New" start menu is just the old XP start menu thats new to everybody now because they disliked it back in 2001 and used the classic one instead. Until Microsoft started forcing them to use the XP start menu in Windows 7 by disabling the one everybody knew and liked. It still doesn't make sense to me. Sorry.

Wasn't even trying to make sense of it. Don't reckon there is any sense to be made of it. Was just trying to explain what is being referred to in this forum as "old" and what is being referred to as "new". The elimination of the "old" is certainly a solid negative to Windows 7 to many people, but not a really "heavy" factor.

Too give them any value, Polls are supposed to have a conclusion. With a heavy vote in favour of the new menu, and increasing, I think the poll, and the thread, has run it's course.
It has now become a flaming match, with several posts in rather bad tastes, others heavily prejudiced towards the posters own preference.

Perhaps we should start another Poll. "Should this thread be locked"

The revised Start menu looks ok but why?, Oh why? do we have to click on an item to open the sub menu then move to and click on the required program to Open it?

The previous start menu where as the mouse is moved to the item required a sub menu automatically appeared to the right and one just clicked on the program to start it.

This is a better option and is more efiicient requiring less mouse clicks.

Back