Clear Windows inbuilt zip password store

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by spiderplant0, Jun 15, 2016.

1. spiderplant0

spiderplant0 New Member

I have a password protected zip file. When I dbl click it, windows opens it and asks for the password before I can view the files inside the zip. However I have noticed that when I put the PC into hibernate and then switch the PC on again, windows has remembered the password and I dont have to enter it again. This is not secure for my needs. Is there a setting somewhere where I tell windows to forget the password on major events such as going to sleep or hibernating etc. Or, if not, is there a way to manually flush it's password store?

#1 spiderplant0, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

If the zip is open when it hibernates then the file is unlocked then it will remain unlocked. Zip files are not that secure anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it to much. If you want real security and you have a Pro version of Windows you can create an encrypted VHD file which is much more secure.

3. spiderplant0

spiderplant0 New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It seems to remember the password even if the zip file is closed (inc closing down windows explorer).

I think you are saying that windows in-built zip is not very secure. Can you recommend an alternative (I dont have windows pro)?

4. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

5. spiderplant0

spiderplant0 New Member

ok thanks. I will try that.

6. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Password protection and file/folder/volume encryption are 2 different animals. This can cause problems with backups and image backups later on. I would suggest that if you don't need encryption, but just better password protection, try the 7zip program which is free, and they also have a better low-cost paid version too which should solve your problem without all the backup issues you're liable to run into with encryption methods.
    Just a thought.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :brew: