Windows 10 ClearType not working?

BlebNevus

Just switched from a Lenovo desktop running Windows 8 to a Dell running Windows 10 -- keeping my trusty Samsung analog LED monitor with a VGA connection. On the new computer, letters in all applications (word processing, browsers, emails) seem slightly shaky, faint, vaguely greenish -- not the clear, crisp, black typeface I had on the old computer (and have on my laptop that also runs Windows 10). Seems like exactly what ClearType was designed for, right? Except it has no effect, regardless of which options I select on each of the comparison-type screens. I've also checked Windows display settings: It's using the recommended full resolution that the monitor can handle (1280 x 1024).

Would be grateful for any suggestions...

Samsung SyncMaster 940BX. As I mentioned, though, Windows seems to have autoselected the correct resolution.

Actually, Windows had set 60 as a default for some reason. I just figured out how to change it to 75 -- so thank you for that. Unfortunately, the change didn't affect the way type is displayed.

After starting this thread, I came across something interesting on another forum: Someone claims that Windows's native VGA driver doesn't support ClearType and therefore one must install a different driver. I guess that would explain why my CT adjustments aren't having any effect, but it seems odd that Windows would offer a feature that its own driver doesn't support. Does this sound plausible to you? If so, any idea where I would find - and how I would install - an appropriate replacement driver?

Back
Top Bottom