Windows 7 COD 4 DX9 installation required on top of DX11 ?

RustyFalcon

Honorable Member
OK, I'm running Win7 7201 64-bit. I installed COD4 1.7 last night and when asked about installing DX9 I selected "No" since my Win7 has DX11 installed.

When I try and start either single or multi-player I get an error dialog that reads:

"The program can't start because d3dx9_34.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I note on my old XP partition that d3dx9_34.dll is installed in C:\Windows\System32.

I get the impression that I HAVE to install DX9 even though I already have DX11 installed ?

Does this make sense ?

Will installing DX9 cause any known conflicts with DX11 ?

Is there a DX11 compatibility pack required or something ?

You will have to install Dx9c, dont worry it will not effect anything else, all the Dx versions run on independent .dll files. Just so you know, 7201 will not let you play multiplayer with PB servers. You get that unknown API error. 7100 and 7127 both worked on my machine. On a side note, 7137 would not let me run multiplayer at all.

I installed DX9.0c on my Win7 RC install to play games and they are all working fine : GTA4, Tomb Raider Underworld, HL2 and its episodes, Sims 3, NFS Undercover, Bioshock, Prince of Persia 2008.

Thanks all, I appreciate the quick responses.

loathe: Yes I've been reading about PB issues for a few days now. I still have an XP partition that I can boot into if needed. I just wanted to logically install COD4 and see if I could even play single-player on 64-bit.

And yes I just tried it. Single player works fine. Feels a bit sluggish compared to playing on XP. Multiplayer - boom got kicked for the 'Unknown API' issue within a minute of joining a server. Boy I hope someone fixes that soon!

Last edited:
>>And yes I just tried it. Single player works fine. Feels a bit sluggish compared to playing on XP. Multiplayer - boom got
>> kicked for the 'Unknown API' issue within a minute of joining a server. Boy I hope someone fixes that soon! 14 Hours Ago
>> 06:54 PM

there's a fix to reduce latency for online play for Win7 on this website...

Hm..i tried to install DirextX9, but it doesn't help...still have missing dll-files.

Update: Worked now. I tried the direct-x installation folder from the game and not from blood bowl. worked now.

Had the same problem guys and I have now installed Directx 9.0c too. Glad to say games now work well too.

Would have been nice if Microsoft website can make this clear-cut to everyone that if a game needs 9.0c, its fine to install regardless if you higher versions.

Gosh thats my first post of many more to come. Sorry its a dull first one!

Its a simple solution

Having now got my Call of Duty 4:Modernwarfare to work on my Win 7 64-bit by simply installing Dirext 9.0c (yes its true, Directx 9.0c installs completely seperately without interfering with Directx 11).

I now find all my other Directx 9 games are playing absolutely fine.

I encourage everyone not to go downloading specific .dll files from third party websites. You could potentially make things worse.

Also, if you have installed your game without installing Directx 9, you dont have to uninstall and reinstall the game with the Directx 9 option ticked. Just simply run the setup file in the Directx folder on your game CD.

Happy gaming guys

Back