Windows 7 Coming from Ubuntu

smt3643

Hi I had Ubuntu for a brief period of time on my pc as my mine OS and now I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 7. When I get to the partition section of the installation and cannot get any farther. My partitions are as follows:
Free Space Type
Disk 0 Unallocated Space 70MB
Disk 0 Unallocated Space 52GB Extended
Disk 0 Partition 1: Backup 22.5GB Logical

When I try to install windows on my 52GB partition, I get the error "Setup was unable to create a new partition or access an existing partition. See setup logs for more information."
I also cannot try and create an new partition from the 52GB partition and try to install it there or even format it. There is a lot of important information stored on my backup partition that I need saved so if there is any way to keep that while still installing Windows 7, that would be great. Thanks.

Windows needs a Primary partition ( not an Extended partition) to use as the System partition.

You seem to have one Extended partition including one logical drive and some free space.

Unfortunately, with windows partitioning - you need to delete the logicals within the extended - then the extended itself - normally losing your data.

There are 3 ways round this.

1. Use a partition manager with a boot disc that can convert logical to Primary without data loss - e.g. Paragon partition manager.

2. OR use the free disk image software - Paragon Drive BACKUP EXPRESS - use the boot disc to create an image of your data partition on an external drive. After deleting the partitions and installing windows - you can restore the image.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

3. Take a risk and delete the partitions with Windows during install.

Make sure the new Primary you create to install Windows on is smaller than the current 52gb - do not overlap with where the 2nd ( data) partition was. 16gb is plenty.

Install windows onto new smaller partition. Install the free Partition Wizard and run the partition undelete function. It is pretty good.

BEST FREE Partition Manager for Windows supports all 32-bit & 64 bit Windows No-server OS.

1. is by far the best solution - however a combination of 2 and 3 should also be effective.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom