Windows 7 Compatibility Check Problem during Upgrade from Vista

usna75

First, yes I know I should be doing a clean install. But I am doing this to test the upgrade capability.

When the installation goes thru the compatibility checks it finally displays a screen that says the I must uninstall an application called: Disk Expert v2. That is the only thing it says is a problem, and it only has the option to Close the window, which stops the install.

Well, there is no Disk Expert v2 on the computer. Have looked in control panel of installed programs. Have searched registry. Have searched disk. Have used WinHex to do raw search of the hard disk and the Windows 7 install disk for the words Disk Expert - none found (except for my searches that were logged on the disk). Have searched memory both before and during install for the words Disk Expert - again none found except instances of searches. Have asked it not to check for updates before installation - no change. Have run the install without internet connection - no change. Have turned off and unplugged computer AND removed RAM overnite - no change. Have disabled all non-Microsoft applications AND services on start-up; again no change.

I have googled for Disk Expert v2 and only find a bunch of cracks for some French application. Have also found one other person experiencing this same problem, but he has had no success either. I have not found anyone else, which seems odd given the many people installing Windows 7 RC.

I am stymied for a solution at this point and am open to any and all ideas!

Thanks for your help folks!

Last edited:
First, yes I know I should be doing a clean install. But I am doing this to test the upgrade capability.

That's the problem, right there

Hundreds of leftover files from the previous OS are useless as new system files have replaced the older versions.

Through every succesive build I have always done a 'clean" install

If you just installed the RC fro Microsoft, I'd suggest you put in in the tray and restart you computer choosing the second option.

Thanks but that doesn't help much!

No, the reality is that MANY people and small businesses without IT support have lots of data and applications accumulated on their machines and WILL be using the upgrade feature, which is why Microsoft put it in there. So to ignore it and believe that nobody will use it, even if they really shouldn't, is just unrealistic. Therefore it needs to be tested. Constructive help is appreciated!

When the installation goes thru the compatibility checks it finally displays a screen that says the I must uninstall an application called: Disk Expert v2. That is the only thing it says is a problem, and it only has the option to Close the window, which stops the install.

Well, there is no Disk Expert v2 on the computer. Have looked in control panel of installed programs. Have searched registry. Have searched disk. Have used WinHex to do raw search of the hard disk and the Windows 7 install disk for the words Disk Expert - none found (except for my searches that were logged on the disk). Have searched memory both before and during install for the words Disk Expert - again none found except instances of searches. Have asked it not to check for updates before installation - no change. Have run the install without internet connection - no change. Have turned off and unplugged computer AND removed RAM overnite - no change. Have disabled all non-Microsoft applications AND services on start-up; again no change.

I have googled for Disk Expert v2 and only find a bunch of cracks for some French application. Have also found one other person experiencing this same problem, but he has had no success either. I have not found anyone else, which seems odd given the many people installing Windows 7 RC.

I am stymied for a solution at this point and am open to any and all ideas!

Thanks for your help folks!

I wished you could take a Screen Capture or Snap shot of the Screen that gave this strange suggestion by the Compatibility Checker as an image evidence for the idiosyncrasies of Win 7 Installation! you have gone to extraordinary length to make the case. :)

I suggest you to make another go but after you run CCleaner on your Vista. CCleaner is a freeware and a Great little program worth its weight in gold. If you are interested you can find it from this link Download CCleaner 2.19.901 - FileHippo.com
Like rekhakr said it's better to try a dual boot with VISTA and the new Win 7 7100 RC on a separte partition or second hard disk using the Custom Install option as we are all testing this new OS and you could actually compare VISTA and Win 7 that way. I realize you are quite aware of it and still wanted to test the Uppgrade capability of this new OS. That is a laudable goal.
Good luck.

Good idea

I did use CCleaner - just forgot to mention it in all I did. Agree it is very good, but it didn't make a difference here. I will post a screenshot as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Problem Solved!!!

Problem Solved!!!

Well here's the screen shot of the outcome of the Compatibility Checker attached below.

What I did was decide to start uninstalling all non-Microsoft apps one at a time, running CCleaner, restarting Windows, re-trying the install. Luckily I focused first on apps that might have something to do with disk manipulation. I quickly came to Acronis True Image. Did uninstall - it went thru the motions, then displayed a window saying it was not uninstalled, though all icons were gone and only 2 files left in Program Files relating to Acronis True Image. Ran CCleaner to get rid of other associations to the app. Restarted Windows - it went thru reboot cycle twice then displayed options for Safe Mode, etc. Selected Most Recent Successful start and it came up. Funny thing is Acronis True Image was gone, except for those two files, even though it was there in the previous successful startup. Also all registry entries were gone. Removed all mentions of the Acronis True Image app in Program Files, rebooted successfully, ran the Windows 7 Upgrade, and SUCCESS - NO compatibility problems; install proceeded just fine.

So the real mystery is why the Compatibility Checker decided Acronis True Image was called "Disk Expert v2." Regardless, I hope this helps someone else.

Last edited:
Problem Solved!!!

Well here's the screen shot of the outcome of the Compatibility Checker attached below.

What I did was decide to start uninstalling all non-Microsoft apps one at a time, running CCleaner, restarting Windows, re-trying the install. Luckily I focused first on apps that might have something to do with disk manipulation. I quickly came to Acronis True Image. Did uninstall - it went thru the motions, then displayed a window saying it was not uninstalled, though all icons were gone and only 2 files left in Program Files relating to Acronis True Image. Ran CCleaner to get rid of other associations to the app. Restarted Windows - it went thru reboot cycle twice then displayed options for Safe Mode, etc. Selected Most Recent Successful start and it came up. Funny thing is Acronis True Image was gone, except for those two files, even though it was there in the previous successful startup. Also all registry entries were gone. Removed all mentions of the Acronis True Image app in Program Files, rebooted successfully, ran the Windows 7 Upgrade, and SUCCESS - NO compatibility problems; install proceeded just fine.

So the real mystery is why the Compatibility Checker decided Acronis True Image was called "Disk Expert v2." Regardless, I hope this helps someone else.

Thank you very much for posting your Screen Capture evidence along with the steps you took to catch the program ( Acronis True Image )Win 7 identified as Disk Expert v2 using the small mutifunction freeware called CCleaner which has shown its might despite its small size thus clearing the stumbling block that stood on your way to an Upgrade Installation from your existing VISTA to Win 7 -7100 RC.
Hey, the next time somone "googles" using the search term Disk Expert v, they are going to find your post here as to the source and not some cracks for some obscure French applications you were taken to:)
Well done!

Acronis Disk Expert Failed Upgrade

This information has been very helpful, I have been working with Win 7 for a while now and unless your are by chance using a machine with the hardware that MS did when they tested it, your in for a technical experience with no support other then this forum. I had been trying to install Win 7 on a Dell 2650 Server, It seems that MS left out all the errors you could get during install like after the upgrade wiz say your all set then after 30 mins tells you, you need more disc space LOL. Anyway I gave up on the Server for now as it just takes hours to fail. I switched to a new laptop to test with and since I did not want to have to call MS and change all the Lic's on again I decided to use the upgrade to test it as a clean install is always nice but lets face it the normal user will use the upgrade because NO ONE wants to reinstall everything. I came across the error Remove Disk Expert V2. I did the same thing you did searched the Registry, Ran Reg Cleaners, Searched all files on the computer Etc. And before I started removing any apps that had anything to do with the HD's I checked here, luckily I checked here and you saved me some hours of frustration. I guess the real question is why does Win 7 see Acronis as Disk Expert V2. The only thing that comes to mind is Vista’s upgrade transfer program uses Acronis and MS must have named it Disk Expert in the OS and the upgrade software finds files related to it in Acronis. OK I am off to remove Acronis True Image and try again. Keep you posted. Thanks for the post

Glad it helped

Glad it worked out. Let me know your results. Also, if anyone out there actually knows the reason for Acronis True Image being identified by the compatibility checker as Disk Expert v2, please chime in.

Win 7 Upgrade

Well it's finally installed on a PC for testing. I could not get win 7 to install on the laptop that had Acronis installed even after removing it. Although once it was removed it went a lot further and just kept hanging. Apparently from what I can see the main problem is the RC version does not look to its own driver store for drivers. If you have a computer that has any type of raid like Adaptec, Fast Track etc. it does not load properly. So I went to a new laptop a Dell 1525 fully loaded with software but no Hard drive Utility’s installed. Adobe 8 pro, Office 2007, Training software a whole lot of stuff. I ran the compatibility wizard and it found a few things that would not work or needed to be updated after the install and I took a chance an tried it. (after a full Disc Image, I’m not that trusting of MS) Anyway I needed to get new Antivirus Software as you need pretty much any version of 2009 to work. So I pushed the issue and installed Win 7 from a USB External HD and it took Approximately 6 hours to install and upgrade from Vista Home Premium SP1 to Win 7 Ultimate. It went very smooth compared to all my other attempts. I tested all the laptop devices and the Dell Built in wireless, HDMI Port etc. are all working perfectly so far. I would suggest only doing upgrades to newer machines since the others I tried were wasted time and frustrating. I liked the smooth transition where Win 7 kept all my settings except my wireless security settings but that was no big deal. I have not tried it with a PC as a member of a domain with Active Dir running yet so any advice on that if you have done it already would be great. I did not like the amount of time it took had this been a production PC it would require a weekend to make the transition with no issues. This is probably why MS would like a clean install even though that takes a while as well. I’ll keep you guys posted, hope this helps.

This is exactly the same problem my friend had to face few days ago. He had tried a lot and contacted a number of tech support companies to get rid off the problem but remained unsuccessful. Finally I asked him to get in touch with Link Removed - Invalid URL who previously helped me a lot to solve many computer related issues. His problem was solved almost immediately as he followed my advice. As you are facing the same problem I think it will be better for you if you seek there help. Hopefully the staffs over there might be able to solve the problem at a very cheap price.

Hi I am having these problems whenever I try choose to upgrade from Vista Ultimate 64:

c:%5CUsers%5CDKizzy%5CAppData%5CRoaming%5CMicrosoft%5Cwindows%5Cupgrade%5Cimages%5Calert.gif
The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

• [*] Windows needs to be restarted so necessary changes to system files can be made before continuing.

c:%5CUsers%5CDKizzy%5CAppData%5CRoaming%5CMicrosoft%5Cwindows%5Cupgrade%5Cimages%5Cwarning.gif
Upgrading Windows will affect the following features:

• [*] Windows Vista Ultimate Extras have been discontinued and will no longer be available after upgrading to Windows 7.

c:%5CUsers%5CDKizzy%5CAppData%5CRoaming%5CMicrosoft%5Cwindows%5Cupgrade%5Cimages%5Cwarning.gif
Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

• These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.

• [*] Infrared devices: Built-in Infrared Device

• These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)

• [*] Daemon Tools

[*] iTunes (Please deauthorize computer prior to upgrade)

[*] Virtual PC 2007 SP1 *

[*] ATI CATALYST Install Manager *

[*] ATI Catalyst Control Center *

I understand that I would have to uninstall the listed files, but how do I deal with the vista ultimate features that I don't even use? It is truly an inconvenience that Microsoft does not let you proceed even with this nice compatibility test feature. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back