Windows 7 computer name showing different

kormath

Honorable Member
I've searched for this problem for a while now on Google but haven't been able to find anything that addresses this problem. We use AD accounts here for users and workstations. I have 1 workstation that shows the computer name correctly in the system properties but the start menu lists the name under Computer differently. Luckily the name shows correctly in the OU and AD, so we aren't having any network conflicts there. Is there a way to change the computer name in the start menu so it displays correctly?

The biggest concern for this is our remote connection software is able to connect by the computer name, and the easiest way to tell our end users to find the name is open the start menu and look under Computer.

Thanks for any ideas/help in advance.

This can be changed via the control panel, go there and search for "name"
there you should see an option to change the computer name.
This normally works for home environments but I am unsure if your sys admin can change things or not and how your network is tied.
The AD accounts part I get but what power your admin has I am unsure.

This can be changed via the control panel, go there and search for "name"
there you should see an option to change the computer name.
This normally works for home environments but I am unsure if your sys admin can change things or not and how your network is tied.
The AD accounts part I get but what power your admin has I am unsure.

I'm a sys admin. I know how to change computer names locally and on the domain. I can't figure out how to change what is displayed in the start menu to match the name in system properties and on the domain.

Back
Top Bottom