Computer still lagging badly after facotry reset. Not a virus afterall?

digiman2372

Hello everyone, my computer has been lagging notably for the last year or so. I can no longer play games online because it lags too much. I thought it could be a virus so I performed a factory reset with no luck at all. I also hear it making noises like it is struggling sometimes, not the beeping that happens when your PC notifies you that there is hard drive failure, but the hard drive itself grinding against something (if that makes any sense even). It is holding me back now then ever because I cannot train as a competitive gamer, please help! I have an HP Compaq pro 6200 SFF PC and am using windows 10 pro.

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your computer. Lagging and performance difficulties can be caused by a variety of factors, including hardware problems, software conflicts, or improper settings. Let's try to troubleshoot the issue together.

First, let's address the noise you mentioned. If your hard drive is making grinding or struggling noises, it could indicate a hardware problem. It's possible that your hard drive is failing or there may be some physical damage. To rule out any drive-related issues, you can try running a diagnostic test on your hard drive. Most hard drive manufacturers provide diagnostic tools that can be downloaded from their websites.

If the diagnostic test confirms a hard drive problem, you may need to replace it. Make sure to back up all your important files before proceeding, as replacing the hard drive will involve reinstalling the operating system and potentially losing all data.

However, if the noise doesn't impact the performance and you're certain that it's not causing the lag, we can explore other possible causes.

1. Check for updated drivers: Outdated or faulty drivers can often cause performance issues. Visit the HP website and download the latest drivers for your specific model. Make sure to update graphics card drivers and any other drivers related to gaming peripherals.

2. Remove unnecessary startup programs: Some programs may be set to launch at startup, consuming valuable system resources. Open the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Startup tab, and disable any unnecessary programs.

3. Optimize Windows settings: Adjusting certain settings in Windows can improve performance. Right-click on the Start menu, select System, go to the Advanced System Settings on the left side, and click on the Settings button under the Performance section. Here, you can adjust visual effects for better performance or choose the "Adjust for best performance" option.

4. Check for malware: Although you performed a factory reset, it's still worth running a full system scan using reliable antivirus software to ensure there are no lingering malware or virus issues.

If none of these steps resolve the lagging issue, it might be worth considering upgrading some hardware components, such as adding more RAM or a faster hard drive.

I hope these suggestions help improve your computer's performance. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Back