Convert a notepad from hex format to text

Hello,

Im trying to read a notepad that is in hex format in normal text. I have downloaded the program notepad++, but cant follow the tutorials very well. I tried typing the exact words from the title and couldnt find a tutorial to match, nor do I necessarily wish to learn too much about hex figures.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a simple tutorial that showed how to perform this function, if there was one, or could drop a few lines showing steps how to do this.

Thanks.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
  • Open the hex file in notepad++
  • Select all the text
  • Click Plugins > Converters HEX > ASCII
That's all you need to do

Thanks.

I still get this error.

Capture.PNG

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Then there is probably something wrong with the file you are trying to convert.

No idea what?

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Not without seeing the file.

Its just a game save file that Id like to alter a bit, but it has only the name "file" for the extension.

I dont know what it is myself, but then I dont know much about computers anyway.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
If you don't really know what it is how do you plan to alter it?

Last edited:

zirkoni

Honorable Member
Its just a game save file
Then it's probably some custom format and that's why Notepad++ can't convert it to text. You could try a hex editor instead but it will probably be difficult/impossible to figure out what to change and how. Maybe create several save game files each with small changes in the game state and compare them???

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.