Windows 7 copy-paste with less confirmations?

If I copy-paste some folders and files, there are just sooo many confirmation-dialogs for overwriting files and folders. This makes me nuts as I have to do loads of this each day.

In the glorious days of XP there was just the simple:

"do you want to overwrite this?"
[yes] [no]

So with only one click for confirmation. Now it is often 6 click for exactly the same task. #fail

How to get windows 7 to use a single confirmation dialog for this?

If you install Classic Shell (4.4mb) you can configure to use the XP style copy/paste Dialog amongst a host of other settings.

Its the only way I know of.

Under File Operation Tweaks: Replace File Conflict Dialog and Replace Folder Conflict Dialog are the options you'd be interested in.

Last edited:
I actually like this feature.
It allows me to copy large folders full of stuff to my backup and elect to skip overwriting duplicate files.
Not possible with the XP way.
It was either all or nothing.
Saves lots of time with GB of nested data.
Kinda like a built in incremental backup.

Another problem with the XP way was if a file or folder couldn't copy (permissions etc.) XP would halt the entire process.
Win 7 simply presents a dialog allowing retry or skip for the offending file(s)\folders while still completing the rest of the copy.

I can't count the times in XP when part way through a copy of many files a file couldn't be copied and XP would abort the whole
process.

This forced me to figure out what the offending files were and exclude them from the copy.

Last edited:
Back