Windows 10 CPU didn't go over 80%?

Calby

Hi,
I was maxing out my CPU with prime95 for 30min and the temps was good around 60c
Then I did close prime95 and I did open it again to run it and it did only manage to push the CPU to 80% according to task manager and as my fans did not start to run at full speed I guess it was correct that it did not go above 80% load.
So I did start one more prime95, same results it could not go over 80%, I did also try intel burn test same results did not go above 80%.

Then I did start occt and it could at first not start it did stop directly and told me that a error did happen, then after some re-try's it did start but the same it could not go above 80% so I did restart my computer and after that it could go over 80% and up to 100% without any issue.

I did have my charger connected and every driver etc is up to date.
Power plan is on Max and CPU is put on 100% in it.

As the CPU did not run hot it can't bee throttling because of heat either.

Why did this happen?

Then I did start occt and it could at first not start it did stop directly and told me that a error did happen, then after some re-try's it did start but the same it could not go above 80% so I did restart my computer and after that it could go over 80% and up to 100% without any issue.
It sounds like the app (Prime95) got a little confused and I doubt it's anything to worry about. As you have discovered a reboot will sort things out but if it keeps happening try installing the application again making sure you install as admin.

You can always test the chip using the Intel chip diagnostics Tool

It sounds like the app (Prime95) got a little confused and I doubt it's anything to worry about. As you have discovered a reboot will sort things out but if it keeps happening try installing the application again making sure you install as admin.

Prime95 did push the CPU to 100% then I did quit prime95 to try an other CPU pusher application then it could not run over 80% not even when I did try prime95 again it could run over 80%

Well all of the stress test programs did the same, non of them did push the CPU over 80% until after the reboot.

Maybe it's some bug, my CPU is new and also Lenovos T470s is new.
Maybe it needs some kind of bios / FW update it has only released one of them.

Edit
During testing my CPU are at 100% but pending between 2,98GHz and 3,09GHz is this normal?

Last edited:
I was thinking and, as my CPU is 2,5GHZ and turbo up to 3,1GHz but it use to be at around 3GHz and if I take 3,1GHz - 20% then it's 2,5GHz so I was thinking if a bug did strike so the turbo boost was not activated?
It sounds a little right anyway :p

The Intel test did show that nothing was wrong, also when I do disconnect the charger my CPU can't go over 86% and it's pending between 80%-86% I guess that's because of some energy saving thing I know that I have it set for balanced when it's on battery.
I did also run the intel test when I was on battery and it did not show anything wrong then either and the intel test could max the cpu but not the intel burn test or prime95 so I guess that only some applications can max the CPU during battery or something like that.
Both INtel burn test and Prime95 is not updated so it's maybe some new function in windows 10 and that it's not optimized for it and that's why it can't max the cpu when it's on battery.

So I guess that yesterday when it did only go to 80% and could not go over that I guess that was just a bug or something?

So I guess that yesterday when it did only go to 80% and could not go over that I guess that was just a bug or something?
It could have been, which if I remember correctly things were fine after a reboot?

I'm sure your machine is fine and in any case if it did start crashing you are still with the warranty period?

I'm wondering if it's getting a little on the warm side and throttling. Then a reboot gives it time to cool a little.

It could have been, which if I remember correctly things were fine after a reboot?

I'm sure your machine is fine and in any case if it did start crashing you are still with the warranty period?

Yes it did fix it self after reboot.

Yes, I'm under 3 years of warranty from lenovo.
I'm just a little worried it's my bad luck.
I guess that this issue is not a real issue, the machine is new on the market and so are the CPU so windows have not updated everything and not Lenovo either .

Should be fine with those temps. Just keep your eye on it.

Yes :) well now I I'll stop testing the system and insted start using the system I have 3 years warranty I need to stop worrying.

And the system is new, it I'll have some bugs and issues like my bsod that never have been happening again after that one.

Hi Calby,
sounds like a good idea and if you should bsod then send in the dump file we will read it asap.

Back