Windows 8 Creating Installation media - problem

Michael Cullis

Honorable Member
I am trying to create an installation USB however the downloader doesn't recognize my product key. I have just noticed that my product key is for my Windows 8 and some time ago I upgraded to Windows 8.1. I have no idea what my Windows 8.1 product key is as I downloaded the upgrade from the web. How can I find out what it is?

Further to the above, I ran Belarc Advisor which informed me that I have Windows 8 Pro. It also showed the product key (which was on my Windows 8 box). I ran winserv and learned that I have Windows Version 6.3 (build 9600). It told me that "The Windows 8.1 Pro operating system and its user interface...etc." which I take to mean that I have Windows 8.1. I still do not know how to find the Windows 8.1 key, only the one for Windows 8 Pro.

Thanks again, Gavin. However, as I wrote previously, Belarc Adviror tells me that I have Windows 8 and gives me my Windows 8 product key. Running winver, on the other hand, tells me I have Windows 8.1 (Windows version 6.3 Build 9600). My Windows 8 product key won't let me create installation media (i.e. a USB) for Windows 8.1 but I have no idea how to determine my Windows 8.1 product key. I seem to remember that I upgraded to 8.1 over the internet at no cost.

Back